The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The start of my van's body build
Hi Steve, fascinating project, thanks for posting about it. Finding info on actually building wooden framed cars is really hard. I've been more or less winging it on my Riley and just keep referring to as many period pictures as possible and have helpful people sending me pictures of details on their cars where they can (and you find all cars are different!) and talking to others who have done it themselves.

The best book I can recommend (if you can find it and afford it!) is Motor Bodywork by Herbert J Butler, published by W R Howell & Co in 1924. It actually has real details in it and proper plans for many body styles. The only other books I have found are modern books on coachbuilding that tell you nothing technical (except it's a lost art) or mid last century books about people building specials which are often more inspirational than instructional.

I recently showed that book in one of my films and people in the UK reported it costing 400-600 quid!

For screws I found the best place for me to get them locally was through RS Components. So far I have mainly used 50mm long No10 stainless, counter sunk slotted: https://export.rsdelivers.com/productlis...od%20Screw

They are a global supplier and ship internationally. I do need to work out what the 'right nails' are for attaching the aluminium skin to the timber soon.

I understand needing several projects. I've been flat out on the frame in the Riley and really need a break. I find the sawdust annoying and irritating and that's with dust extraction and wearing all the PPE. I have to often stop and clean up or the shed would be a total mess.

I have a motorbike to strip down and rebuild now.

Simon

Messages In This Thread
RE: The start of my van's body build - by NickA - 07-12-2022, 09:41 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by David.H - 09-12-2022, 10:10 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by David.H - 15-12-2022, 09:06 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by jpsmit - 31-12-2022, 04:06 PM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by jansens - 02-01-2023, 08:12 PM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by Jamie - 10-09-2023, 08:39 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by Jamie - 11-09-2023, 07:48 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by Jamie - 12-09-2023, 08:04 AM
RE: The start of my van's body build - by Jamie - 13-09-2023, 08:20 AM