The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical miller for sale - any offers
I purchased very similar one new about 1975. About $1000 when my wage was around  $4000 pa. The same today is less than $2500 and the same employment about $90,000! Later ones have a more robust pillar. Fitted mine with a cross brace. Tools were then so expensive I hoped to avoid a separate drill but too cumbersome.  Have little used but one job was milling hopefully parallel edges on a pair of angle irons which were then shimmed and clamped level across the the lathe bed for static balancing of a Javelin crank with added counterweights, Bradford cranks, flywheel/clutch assemblies.  
It is incredible how inexpensive machiney has become... and some still do not have a lathe!
(I have a lot of Model Engineer mags from about 1930. A new 3 inch lathe without chucks or motor was UK L8, over two weeks of a tradesman's wage.)

In reply to JonE the devices are heavy but readily break down into motor, head, column , base and with a bit of work that can be split also.
I have seen very reasonable small lathes acquired through Trade me for L400 equiv so the equiv price here would seem not exceptional. Often old lathes come with accessories and a set of bonus collets, end mills etc would be a great added asset.

The additonal pulley interesting as changing belts seems much more of a chore than with a bench drill.

And incidentally the house for L10,000 equiv at the same time is now valued at 50X that! When I spent up on my lathe and mill drill I consoled myself that such retained value.... I could have bought a Pentax instead. And a new car was not hugely more espensive

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vertical miller for sale - any offers - by Bob Culver - 12-04-2022, 09:13 PM