The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Petrol tank repair solutions?
I had forgotten how good 'Bakers' flux was. I've just soldered up a pit hole in the sump of the Gordon England. It was pretty manky. Quickly cleaned with the die grinder, a gob of flux, some heat amd a prod of solder and it was done.

I was sure there was oil in it, and the guts were oily, but there was nearly no oil in it when I drained it to take the sump off. 

I assume its all on the roof of my traction engine!

P. S

I only had a rusty and holed tank for my RL saloon when I restored it. Difficult things to find. The holes were in deep pits on the bit that say against the bulkhead. After a wirebrush, a rattle around with some stones, and some jenolite, I plastered some Plastic Padding 'Poxy' metal into the pits, sanded until smooth, and used some 'Bill Hirch' slosh sealant from the Complete Automobilist. That was 21 years ago. No problems since. I did the same to the Microplas bodied special I had, which had a big 7 tank in it. I used Oxalic Acid in that tank to clean it inside. The outside had at some point been repaired with fibreglass. I didnt keep that long enough to fi d out if it was still good stuff. 

You can buy it on ebay. Search 'Gas Tank Sealer' (Its an American Product)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petrol tank repair solutions? - by Dave Mann - 19-06-2021, 09:25 AM
RE: Petrol tank repair solutions? - by John Mason - 19-06-2021, 09:35 AM
RE: Petrol tank repair solutions? - by Renaud - 21-06-2021, 10:04 AM
RE: Petrol tank repair solutions? - by Renaud - 21-06-2021, 06:21 PM
RE: Petrol tank repair solutions? - by Hedd_Jones - 21-06-2021, 07:58 PM