The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only for those with deep pockets
I've been watching this thread, resisting an urge to chuck in my twopen'orth, it's been most interesting.
As I'm sure Ian will agree, the time element in building actual items is probably a quarter of the time needed to conceive them.
I've built two Pembleton cars and two Austin 7 specials and the second question people ask is "How long did it take?" , usually after "What'll it do?" or "What's it worth"
A very rough estimate for the two Pembletons would be around 3000 hours each and that is probably an underestimate. If you were building to commission you would be charging at least £40.00 per hour so it has to be a labour of love in which you don't mind or are compelled to spend the same amount of time designing, making test pieces, re-doing after a lack of adequate forethought and having to backtrack several steps accordingly. This doesn't include the midnight sessions with the single malt,pencil,paper and racked brains. To suggest that someone could build it for £15k is fatuous nonsense IMHO, unless they have a private income or are prepared to work for nothing and have a fully equipped professional workshop at their disposal. The finished standard indicates that bodgery is not acceptable.
The car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, or priceless depending on ones point of view.
Or, worth only the sum of the cost of the parts you can remember plus the value of the payments you can remember making.
Having seen the car at close quarters and inspected it (within the bounds of politeness) it's a cracker, well made, nicely detailed, very well finished and high gloss. I'd suggest it took at least 4000 hours so £40k represents £10.00 per hour.
It wouldn't do for me because I'd probably abuse it to death, let it go matt ASAP and enjoy myself silly doing it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by JonE - 20-04-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 20-04-2020, 01:40 PM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 21-04-2020, 11:17 AM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by austin - 21-04-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Duncan Grimmond - 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 03-05-2020, 04:27 PM