The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reliant engined Ulster build
(01-12-2017, 09:36 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: From two months ago........

"01-10-2017, 11:00 AM

It may have something to do with the ethics nowadays of using a complete car to build a special.

I for one am waiting for the sparks to start flying!"

Well, I got that one right!!!!

(01-12-2017, 09:49 AM)Special Bits Wrote: Arthur

To address a few of your points, not all.

Over the last few years the building of specials has become a slightly contentious issue, Mainly because quite a lot of original cars are still being broken up in the pursuit of a 1950's dream. This, Im sure you can understand, is not overly popular with enthusiasts for the mark. Im not suggesting you are doing this this, but merely trying to explain the background. The fitting of Reliant engine has often resulted in irreparable damage being done to Austin Seven chassis components, which unlike the 1950's we now recognise are in finite supply!

Many of the people who have commented on your post have been around A7s for decades, and more than one have built MANY specials over those decades. Whilst you may not see their comments as helpful the opinions expressed are base upon real experience, with A7s, not other choppers or outlandish specials. My comment about building a Reliant special was intended as a cautionary tale, which you decided to take exception to... Its your money, your time, your problem.

If you have asked how to get 40bhp from an Austin engine to go in your Ulsteroid Im sure you would have gained a far more positive response!

Anyway, you have now fallen out with half the people who  might have helped you if you had taken a slightly less gun-ho attitude. I dont expect you will like this comment either, but there we go. Good luck and please dont destroy another car or chassis!

Stuart
Hi Stuart

I agree and disagree with you over some points.

I am sure that some people do disagree with using a Reliant engine, and curiously enough, I haven't entirely decided yet anyway (!) however, I noticed the other day, that someone was also suggesting using a Coventry Climax FWM engine. I googled this as I had no knowledge of this engine, yet I know of the FWA and FWE engines, in fact a chap in my local pub has one of each in a Lotus Elite and a Turner. The FWM looks interesting and I found that some have actually used them in Austin Sevens, so I see a similarity here in obtaining more power at little extra cost, yet I haven't yet noticed anyone here on the forum shouting down the idea of using the FWM in the same vein as some of you have over the Reliant? Is there a snobbish element about the Reliant, due to a well known (not by me) Yellow one on TV?!

If damage has been done, I will have to respect your knowledge on this, I would like to see it of course, but there are many who have or are using the Reliant, and Rod yates himself recommends it, though I'm certain that he doesn't recommend it above the original, just as an alternative to spending lots of money to obtain more power, so, does that really matter.

Well, once again, as you say, it is my money, my problem....why oh why do you need to couch a comment so...yes it is my money, yes it is my choice, and yes I have seen some "Ulsteroids" sell for well over £20K, not that this is my motive whatsoever.

I'm 62, I don't expect to sell this vehicle or any of my vehicles unless I can no longer get in them in 10-15 years time or more.

I did dislike your original comment, and why should I not say so, why draw attention to the number of hours going into it...surely, that is my concern and mine only, so what is the point of such a comment?

I didn't ask how to get 40BHP out of an Austin engine....within reason I know, quite a lot of money, and I don't wish to do it, it is that simple.

Those who have, so it appears, taken exception to me, are not those who seem to be showing interest in building an Ulster special...they seem to have the need to disparage, and I don't know why?

No, I am not "gung ho"....shall I repeat myself again if I may....I am building a Rod Yates body up on a Ruby chassis and I am considering using a Reliant 850 engine, and possibly upgrading to hydraulic brakes...sorry if some of you don't like this, but there we are, and I was/am seeking advice from those who have done the same...I apologise for using this forum to further such aims...sorry I'm being sarcastic myself here.

I do not care if building a special is contentious, I built a new house in the last decade in a conservation area, now that appeared contentious, but set a small precedent....live moves on, it evolves...oh by the way, I'm European, a staunch remainer, and a Republican to boot, plus a member of the Liberal Democrats...that's put the cat amongst the proverbials, and being a bit of a provocative maverick, I expect comment. 

Don't destroy another car or chassis....gosh, I love your supercilious style old chap!

Messages In This Thread
Reliant engined Ulster build - by merlinart - 29-11-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by JonE - 29-11-2017, 03:18 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by merlinart - 29-11-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by Alan - 29-11-2017, 09:36 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by merlinart - 29-11-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by Zetomagneto - 29-11-2017, 10:08 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by JonE - 29-11-2017, 10:11 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by Zetomagneto - 29-11-2017, 10:12 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by merlinart - 29-11-2017, 10:38 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by Zetomagneto - 29-11-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: Reliant engined Ulster build - by DavidB - 29-11-2017, 10:48 PM