The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banjo axle 1928. rear pinion bearings
Thanks gents.
The bearing I have fitted does allow the rollers and inner race to slide . Its just that there is nothing stopping the outer race passing rearwards toward the crown wheel.
The bearing I removed couldn't have been the original as it was RHP  MRJA 7/8 . I remember Ransome and Marles being taken over by Hoffman as my brother worked for RHP in the tool room. This bearing would allow some movement but would not allow the outer race to pass the rollers . It could be my brother made the bearing for our father when he rebuilt this axle in the 80's .   The bearing was pitted as the axle had been left partly disassembled since early 90's  , it felt a bit graunchy when turning the torque tube flange but that was the thrust bearings I think.

My father shortend a latter D type axle for the Chummy as he got tired of the oil getting into the brakes. The half shafts were used in the later axle . This is still on the Chummy but I thought I would return it to original. 

I think the twin thin locking nut arrangement at the front of the toque tube (behind the flange) are used just to set the thrust bearings preload.   The sleeve at this same end with its castellated peen retention for the seal is hopelessly fragile , as there are  virtually no lugs left, ive used a sealed bearing at this end.

The mesh between the crown wheel and pinion is  by shimming between the torque tube and banjo casing.

I think ill go ahead with the new bearing , I had to warm the torque tube to fit the outer race and also applied the Loctite stud and bearing glue.

Thanks for thoughts

Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: Banjo axle 1928. rear pinion bearings - by scrooge - 20-06-2019, 11:49 AM