The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cars that were perfect first time
Whilst straying, there is a book available covering development of the Beetle. Tried various motors including an opposed twin with cyls exactly opposite and 3 throw crank with one con rod forked. Had troubles with broken cranks, frames and much else but well sorted for WW2 and made thousands of the flat sided open army model, including an amphibious version.  Successful despite the motor much smaller than a jeep.  The early post war cars were much more basic than the models we all know and were rejected by Brit industry, who preferred series E and Anglias and Prefects! (But did produce the Minor) Sadly design is now all very computerised and there is little basis for such books. 
And straying further radials can transform older cars. about 1987 I ceded my Javelin for a Super Minx. Handling was notably inferior, but notably superior on radials. (Most Javelins are now on radials and are excellent despite illegally narrow rims) According to the theory in all the good books stability is fine with radials rear only, and many Beetles were seen like this. But the arrangement on my Minx and same on my fathers identical car, was horrendeous; on uneven surfaces darted about like a Seven. Presumably when front and rear camber steer is the same car is reasonably stable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cars that were perfect first time - by JonE - 08-03-2019, 01:18 PM
RE: Cars that were perfect first time - by JonE - 08-03-2019, 01:53 PM
RE: Cars that were perfect first time - by Erich - 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM
RE: Cars that were perfect first time - by Bob Culver - 09-03-2019, 08:28 AM
RE: Cars that were perfect first time - by Alan - 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM