The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'31 Rear Axle Distance Piece
(24-08-2018, 12:53 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Sorry for not replying to your earlier pm, Chris. Only saw it this morning and have been at my Mother's Care Home all morning. I don't have a record of the dimension of the distance piece I've just used. I may have a second one that I can measure and I'll have a look in the workshop later today. However, you can work it out by measuring the depth of the A/C bearing housing, the o/a width of the A/C bearings and the width of the bearing adjacent to the pinion teeth. An issue to be aware of with measuring a used distance piece is that some are slightly shorter than when they started out due to wear resulting from them spinning because the bearing assembly had become loose.

Steve

No problem Steve, and I hope your Mum's OK.
If you do have a second one you can check I'd appreciate it. I have precisely the problem you describe, my distance piece has been badly worn by rotation; plus I'm not that convinced it's the 'correct' part in the first place. The sliver that remains unworn suggests it may have been 0.625", but confirmation would be good.
Not sure about the calculation you suggest - I don't have the parts in front of me, but I think varying the distance piece will simply shift the securing nut further up or down the thread. It will still assemble but the pinion axial position could be uncorrectable...?

Messages In This Thread
'31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Chris KC - 24-08-2018, 10:31 AM
RE: '31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Steve Jones - 24-08-2018, 12:53 PM
RE: '31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Chris KC - 24-08-2018, 01:17 PM
RE: '31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Steve Jones - 24-08-2018, 04:52 PM
RE: '31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Chris KC - 24-08-2018, 05:59 PM
RE: '31 Rear Axle Distance Piece - by Chris KC - 24-08-2018, 07:49 PM