The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932
(14-06-2018, 09:16 AM)David Cochrane Wrote: Why Austin decided to increase the diameter of the journal by 1/64" has never been explained (like that master spline on the clutch). The tapers and the teeth are identical and interchangeable. You can ream out an earlier differential bush to take the thicker halfshaft, or fit a new bush (0.875") to use a thinner halfshaft.

I have noted that on the thick shaft I have which is finished thin at the taper end, the keyway is very close to the end of the taper and has initiated a crack. If the thin axles were finished the same way and the key cannot be moved further out it may have prompted the alteration. I have enquired  on several occasions what the typical measurement for a thin shaft was from edge of original taper to the keyway but no replies. I dont suppose anyone has an original unlapped Austin axle!
If shafts were failing in simple bending as Stuarts even 1/64 extra dia would assist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932 - by Bob Culver - 15-06-2018, 08:23 AM