The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby steering wheel
I am having problem removing the steering wheel on my Mk1 Ruby because I need to reset the position. The lock nut has been butchered and is not moving. Any ideas please?
As a last resort you could drill through the nut at two opposing positions, and if needed finish the job with gentle use of a small cold chisel. You may be wise to source another nut first.
I think I might considered it as a last resort, thanks.
Hi,  you could try heating it but not with a naked flame. Use a heat gun or as as a home made tool get a socket that fits the nut (or if butchered like yours one that will tap on)and after putting it on to an extension heat it in a blow lamp or even in a domestic oven. When hot place on the nut and wait for the heat to transfer to the nut then see if it will turn at all. If you get movement treat like any tight nut or stud by slackening then tightening until it moves freely. Use plenty of penetrating oil.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(03-05-2021, 07:27 PM)John Mason Wrote: Hi,  you could try heating it but not with a naked flame. Use a heat gun or as as a home made tool get a socket that fits the nut (or if butchered like yours one that will tap on)and after putting it on to an extension heat it in a blow lamp or even in a domestic oven. When hot place on the nut and wait for the heat to transfer to the nut then see if it will turn at all. If you get movement treat like any tight nut or stud by slackening then tightening until it moves freely. Use plenty of penetrating oil.

John Mason

Beware, if the steering wheel has it's original covering as it is made from celluloid and it is explosively inflammable. I would refrain from putting heat anywhere near a steering wheel with original celluloid covering....
One hole through the nut and then open it up with a centre punch should do it.
Jim
Thanks for all the advice.