The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Leak at Torque Tube socket.
My 28 A 7 kindly deposited back axle oil on the drive after topping up. Dismantled the torque tube from the car and renewed the oil seal in the gland nut and reassembled only to have it leak oil again. I'm sure this item has been modified and referring to  Woodrow it seems to be a mix of E3-9 and E4-5 in that there is a bronze gland nut with 4 slots at the back axle side and an internal oil seal, with the pinion shaft flange then bolted to the end of the propshaft. The oil seal seems to be working and it looks as though the oil leaks into the torque tube socket from the bottom hole on the torque tube ball. Before I do modifications do I ensure that the gland nut seals the 2 holes in the torque tube ball ? I note on a spare back axle I have that the gland nut/oil thrower does not have the slots and is also a larger diameter. I also need to reduce the judder when reversing but will follow the helpful guidance already on the forum. Members thoughts will be appreciated.
As you say, the oil may well be leaking via one of the holes in the torque tube ball. My Ulster will do this. What’s to stop it? One answer would be to ensure that the torque tube anchor is well greased. It can contain much more grease than you might consider reasonable. That’s what I did on the Ulster, which is now continent.
Crude perhaps but it works.

Regards,
Stuart