The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil leak from Petrol Pump
Hi

My newly rebuilt engine is oil tight in all repects except one.  I still have more than a little oil coming from the AC "T type" petrol pump.  I'm certain that the studs and the pump to crankcase gasket are well sealed, but the oil seems to be coming from the two ends of the main spindle and/or the separate spindle of the priming lever.  The drain hole in the crankcase is clear, and the gasket has a corresponding hole.

Any ideas before I toss it in a nearby hedge and get an SU electric one ?
This is a very common problem which occurs because the pin wears in the body of the pump allowing the leak.

There is a seal which can be fitted inside that prevents the oil reaching that part of the pump body, I will see if I can find the link to it.
Another way around it is to fit the lower part of the brand new pumps that the 7Workshop supplied, to your original top.
This seal: https://www.desmetjeep.com/product/detai...d=0&page=1
Hi Ruairidh

Thanks for the info. If it is the pin, I can possibly get a friend to machine some small grooves and fit some O rings. Not sure about the priming lever, this appears to be peened to the shaft and not easily remove/replaceable.
That seal worked for me. It is included as standard on some Land Rover repair kits but not on others. I wonder if it used to be there on all these pumps when they were new.
Thank you for putting me on to it in the first place Nrzam.

See you next week!