The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
ID chassis from poor pictures - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: ID chassis from poor pictures (/showthread.php?tid=2189)

Pages: 1 2 3

ID chassis from poor pictures - FrogPond - 05-01-2019

The fellow that I bought my Ruby from also had a chassis in the back of his shed. I am thinking about it again (don't tell my wife). I don't know if is worth the effort though. It may be 2500 mi from me. I have these 6 (bad) pictures. Can anyone cipher what it may be ? TIA, Mike[Image: DSCN5481.JPG][Image: DSCN5482.JPG][Image: DSCN5483.JPG][Image: DSCN5484.JPG][Image: DSCN5485.JPG][Image: DSCN5486.JPG]

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Mike Costigan - 05-01-2019

That looks like a 1932-34 high-frame long chassis, 4-speed gearbox, Girling front brakes with Bowndenex conversion and an interesting semi-rod conversion to the rear brakes; looks like an ideal candidate for a special!
Edit: it has the early-type banjo rear axle, so almost certainly a 1932 chassis.

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Chris KC - 05-01-2019

That's a pre-1930 axle surely? Though I'm not sure what those extra brackets are.

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Mike Costigan - 05-01-2019

Chris,I think you're right, it's a 1930-32 short chassis, the rear extensions on the long chassis had double body mounting holes each side. The four-speed gearbox mislead me  Angel

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Chris KC - 05-01-2019

Definitely merits further enquiries in my estimation. Depends what the owner wants for it I guess...

If the red brake drums are anything to go by it may have been a special at some time, or intended to be.

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Parazine - 05-01-2019

It's an early type back axle, pre late 1929, no side adjusters and short nosepiece. The chassis would therefore suggest itself as late SWB with coupled brakes, 1930 - 32. The last SWB cars were produced in very late '31 into early '32, alongside LWB cars and sold as a "Standard" model.

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Ian Dunford - 05-01-2019

It looks to me as though at least the torque tube and banjo and side tubes are earlier than 1929.

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Parazine - 05-01-2019

Could be; they are brazed construction rather than welded. Don't know when that process changed......

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Nick Lettington - 05-01-2019

The aluminium bump to the right of the gearbox (looking from the rear) suggests the starter motor is fixed direct to the crank case... So the engine is late '31 on...

It's a good game this... Better than spot the difference!

RE: ID chassis from poor pictures - Chris Garner - 05-01-2019

No, Nick. September '32 onwards.