The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Torque tube woes... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Torque tube woes... (/showthread.php?tid=2078)

Pages: 1 2

Torque tube woes... - Nick Lettington - 03-12-2018

I thought I had a spare CWP set to assist in rebuilding my back axle, but as it turns out, the pinion shaft is about 2" longer than for a 7. Part number partially visible... 

Anyone know what they are for... And if so who might like them?

RE: Torque tube woes... - Speedex750 - 03-12-2018

Hi Nick,
It looks like an Austin part number but not one I recognise. If everything else has the right dimensions, can you machine down the taper end?
Dave

RE: Torque tube woes... - Nick Lettington - 03-12-2018

(03-12-2018, 11:23 PM)Speedex750 Wrote: Hi Nick,
It looks like an Austin part number but not one I recognise. If everything else has the right dimensions, can you machine down the taper end?
Dave

Hi Dave. I thought that too re the number, although I hadn't realised how clear it is in the photo... 1A7653

Unfortunately, everything is a little bit stretched. The reverse thread is a little further away from the pinion etc... so I don't think I can. 

I see there's another Speedex for sale in the association magazine. Did you manage to track down the Italian car and the Silverstone's new owner?

RE: Torque tube woes... - Tony Betts - 03-12-2018

Hi nick,

What is the gear ratio.

If it's 5.125 to 1 and the pinion is longer than austin 7.

Then it should be BIG 7.

Tony.

RE: Torque tube woes... - Nick Lettington - 03-12-2018

(03-12-2018, 11:51 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi nick,

What is the gear ratio.

If it's 5.125 to 1 and the pinion is longer than austin 7.

Then it should be BIG 7.

Tony.
Thanks Tony, that does make sense. Methinks I may be phoning you on the morrow...

(Oh... Credit to the Association archive for the parts list)
Ok... Anyone want a used big 7 cwp set? No use to me. Undecided

RE: Torque tube woes... - Hedd_Jones - 04-12-2018

Keith Rawson used to fit big 7 axles complete as was off the car. He simply moved his ball forward on the chassis and sawed a bit out of his propshafts.

I wouldnt have thoight it beyond the wit of man to shorten a big 7 pinionshaft to fit. Perhaps by cutting & shutting the big 7 casing also? Though I do recall the casing is tapered?

RE: Torque tube woes... - Nick Lettington - 04-12-2018

Thanks Hedd.

I'm wincing at the thought of it.

RE: Torque tube woes... - Chris KC - 04-12-2018

With new A7 CWP's available off the shelf surely this might be better redirected to someone who may not be so happily placed.

RE: Torque tube woes... - David.H - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 09:51 AM)Chris KC Wrote: With new A7 CWP's available off the shelf surely this might be better redirected to someone who may not be so happily placed.

Err............1A "7653"  not 1A 7635?
David

RE: Torque tube woes... - Nick Lettington - 04-12-2018

Ha! Thanks David. that's the problem with reading upside down!

Still clueless. anyone got a better idea?