The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Torque tube woes...
I thought I had a spare CWP set to assist in rebuilding my back axle, but as it turns out, the pinion shaft is about 2" longer than for a 7. Part number partially visible... 

Anyone know what they are for... And if so who might like them?
Hi Nick,
It looks like an Austin part number but not one I recognise. If everything else has the right dimensions, can you machine down the taper end?
Dave
(03-12-2018, 11:23 PM)Speedex750 Wrote: Hi Nick,
It looks like an Austin part number but not one I recognise. If everything else has the right dimensions, can you machine down the taper end?
Dave

Hi Dave. I thought that too re the number, although I hadn't realised how clear it is in the photo... 1A7653

Unfortunately, everything is a little bit stretched. The reverse thread is a little further away from the pinion etc... so I don't think I can. 

I see there's another Speedex for sale in the association magazine. Did you manage to track down the Italian car and the Silverstone's new owner?
Hi nick,

What is the gear ratio.

If it's 5.125 to 1 and the pinion is longer than austin 7.

Then it should be BIG 7.

Tony.
(03-12-2018, 11:51 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi nick,

What is the gear ratio.

If it's 5.125 to 1 and the pinion is longer than austin 7.

Then it should be BIG 7.

Tony.
Thanks Tony, that does make sense. Methinks I may be phoning you on the morrow...

(Oh... Credit to the Association archive for the parts list)
Ok... Anyone want a used big 7 cwp set? No use to me. Undecided
Keith Rawson used to fit big 7 axles complete as was off the car. He simply moved his ball forward on the chassis and sawed a bit out of his propshafts.

I wouldnt have thoight it beyond the wit of man to shorten a big 7 pinionshaft to fit. Perhaps by cutting & shutting the big 7 casing also? Though I do recall the casing is tapered?
Thanks Hedd.

I'm wincing at the thought of it.
With new A7 CWP's available off the shelf surely this might be better redirected to someone who may not be so happily placed.
(04-12-2018, 09:51 AM)Chris KC Wrote: With new A7 CWP's available off the shelf surely this might be better redirected to someone who may not be so happily placed.

Err............1A "7653"  not 1A 7635?
David
Ha! Thanks David. that's the problem with reading upside down!

Still clueless. anyone got a better idea?