The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Cheapskate Special - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cheapskate Special (/showthread.php?tid=1247)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Cheapskate Special - Derek Sheldon - 28-05-2018

Dave, where did you get your bonnet hinge please

RE: Cheapskate Special - Rogerfrench - 28-05-2018

Good-looking special.

RE: Cheapskate Special - Dave Wortley - 28-05-2018

Hello Derek,
I made it from my late mother’s stainless steel meat dish cover. The hinge pin is 5/16” rod (from a mate at work who was clearing out his garage). Method :- make one hinge piece from cereal packet to test dimensions then make in stainless by using short length of hinge pin material and wrap pin with stainless steel ,squeezing in vice to form the hole in the hinge piece. The bonnet material at the hinge is bent over at right angles to the bonnet top and the completed hinge/rod assembly attached using small pan head screws. Preferably not pop rivets if you are fussy about anachronisms.
Cheers,
Dave.
I think this method is as Chris Gould’s as shown in “Building repro Ulsters”

RE: Cheapskate Special - Derek Sheldon - 29-05-2018

(28-05-2018, 01:33 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Hello Derek,
I made it from my late mother’s stainless steel meat dish cover. The hinge pin is 5/16” rod (from a mate at work who was clearing out his garage). Method :- make one hinge piece from cereal packet to test dimensions then make in stainless by using short length of hinge pin material and wrap pin with stainless steel ,squeezing in vice to form the hole in the hinge piece. The bonnet material at the hinge is bent over at right angles to the bonnet top and the completed hinge/rod assembly attached using small pan head screws. Preferably not pop rivets if you are fussy about anachronisms.
Cheers,
Dave.
I think this method is as Chris Gould’s as shown in “Building repro Ulsters”

Thanks Dave will give that a go.

RE: Cheapskate Special - 1938austin7 - 29-05-2018

I like it. A great looking car.

This is a classic example of why we should hold on to those little things we might use one day. If my Dad had been like his father I would not have an Austin Seven in the garage today.

( My grandfather had already thrown out my dad’s spare parts Austin 7 and Dad saved our one just in time)

RE: Cheapskate Special - Chris KC - 29-05-2018

Looks super Dave! I bet your father in law was cross though...

RE: Cheapskate Special - Dave Wortley - 29-05-2018

It's ok Chris. He passed away at 96 in 2012 so we didn't take them off his house until after that. He would have approved as he was a good "repurposer".(He donated his body to scientific research also)
Cheers,
Dave.

RE: Cheapskate Special - squeak - 29-05-2018

(29-05-2018, 06:47 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: It's ok  Chris. He passed away at 96 in 2012 so we didn't take them off his house until after that. He would have approved as he was a good "repurposer".(He donated his body to scientific research also)
Cheers,
Dave.

Big Grin respect...  Russell

RE: Cheapskate Special - Tony Griffiths - 30-05-2018

Hi Dave, that's a really superb job, it looks exactly "period" - and perfectly set off by the "Wortley Special" lettering on the radiator. A nice Sheffield registration number as well - original to the chassis, I believe....

RE: Cheapskate Special - DavidL - 30-05-2018

Close up of the screen frame? I just love all the little bits of reuse / repurpose. Dash light looks a treat.