The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Breathers in the block - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Breathers in the block (/showthread.php?tid=1040)

Pages: 1 2

Breathers in the block - Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com - 03-04-2018

hi
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the thimble shaped breather/mesh things that are inserted in the base of the block. The block I have for the engine I'm building up has had both removed.. I suppose one question is, are they actually required? 

Any guidance much appreciated

RE: Breathers in the block - leaf200 - 03-04-2018

(03-04-2018, 10:19 PM)Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com Wrote: hi
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the thimble shaped breather/mesh things that are inserted in the base of the block. The block I have for the engine I'm building up has had both removed.. I suppose one question is, are they actually required? 

You don’t really need them only use is to stop you dropping Collets into the sump

RE: Breathers in the block - Chris KC - 04-04-2018

(03-04-2018, 10:59 PM)leaf200 Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 10:19 PM)Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com Wrote: hi

You don’t really need them only use is to stop you dropping Collets into the sump

That sounds like a good reason to me!

RE: Breathers in the block - Ruairidh Dunford - 04-04-2018

There was talk of somebody going to make these, I always pick up any I see - they are often missing.

RE: Breathers in the block - Rick F - 04-04-2018

I have used old sump gauze pushed into the hole from above, so no chance of it dropping into the sump

RE: Breathers in the block - Tony Betts - 04-04-2018

its been around 8 years since i looked at having them made.

there is a companie near manchester called croft engineering. they make alot of filters. including these thimbles.

there price for 1,000 was £9.00 each 8 years ago. plus postage etc.

anyone want any?

tony

RE: Breathers in the block - JonE - 04-06-2021

so any other creative answers for when the thimbles start to fray a little? Has anyone found another cheap modern part to fit?

RE: Breathers in the block - Tony Betts - 04-06-2021

used ones in good condition £3.00 each.

RE: Breathers in the block - Bob Culver - 04-06-2021

Why bother? Only need to plug with cloth when tinkering .

RE: Breathers in the block - Charles Levien - 05-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 10:55 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Why bother? Only need to plug with cloth when tinkering .

Exactly — but do remember to remove after fitting pins / collets, — easy to forget in all the excitement.