The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathers in the block
hi
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the thimble shaped breather/mesh things that are inserted in the base of the block. The block I have for the engine I'm building up has had both removed.. I suppose one question is, are they actually required? 

Any guidance much appreciated
(03-04-2018, 10:19 PM)Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com Wrote: hi
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the thimble shaped breather/mesh things that are inserted in the base of the block. The block I have for the engine I'm building up has had both removed.. I suppose one question is, are they actually required? 

You don’t really need them only use is to stop you dropping Collets into the sump
(03-04-2018, 10:59 PM)leaf200 Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 10:19 PM)Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com Wrote: hi

You don’t really need them only use is to stop you dropping Collets into the sump

That sounds like a good reason to me!
There was talk of somebody going to make these, I always pick up any I see - they are often missing.
I have used old sump gauze pushed into the hole from above, so no chance of it dropping into the sump
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
its been around 8 years since i looked at having them made.

there is a companie near manchester called croft engineering. they make alot of filters. including these thimbles.

there price for 1,000 was £9.00 each 8 years ago. plus postage etc.

anyone want any?

tony
so any other creative answers for when the thimbles start to fray a little? Has anyone found another cheap modern part to fit?
used ones in good condition £3.00 each.
Why bother? Only need to plug with cloth when tinkering .
(04-06-2021, 10:55 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Why bother? Only need to plug with cloth when tinkering .

Exactly — but do remember to remove after fitting pins / collets, — easy to forget in all the excitement.