The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Period photos
Brilliant photos Mike.
(17-09-2017, 07:32 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Two more for your delectation:

1933 London Gloucester Trial

and 1935 MCC Lands End Trial

Both interesting photos these:

1. This image is on my site and the location has just been identified. Possibly N A Prince driving?

2. Appears to be VE 4492, never knew this car had been trialled, it does have some Brooklands history. Perhaps James, (current owner) will know more?
Austin,

Apologies if I have used one of your photos - the images I have posted are a miscellany of old prints and digital images I have found in obscure parts of the internet. I have intentionally not saved any of the LAT images since your website is so accessible and easy to use. I cannot recall where I found the first image, but it was not directly searchable by 'Austin', which was why I saved it - if you want me to remove it, I'll not be offended.

As for VE 4492, the details I have indicated the driver (owner?) in 1935 was T B Raban.
(19-09-2017, 01:53 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Austin,

Apologies if I have used one of your photos - the images I have posted are a miscellany of old prints and digital images I have found in obscure parts of the internet. I have intentionally not saved any of the LAT images since your website is so accessible and easy to use. I cannot recall where I found the first image, but it was not directly searchable by 'Austin', which was why I saved it - if you want me to remove it, I'll not be offended.

As for VE 4492, the details I have indicated the driver (owner?) in 1935 was T B Raban.

No need to remove, good to see the images getting out there so we learn more! Originally it came from the Autocar archives.
I'm 'scraping the barrel' with these two, the quality is pretty dreadful, but nevertheless they deserve a wider audience ...

The first is a complete unknown - special or obscure coachbuilt? - competing in an unknown gymkhana of unknown date:

.jpg   A7.jpg (Size: 58.83 KB / Downloads: 323)

Many of you will be familiar with Longstone Tyres, and may know that Dougal Cawley has a very rapid Frazer Nash special known as Piglet; well,here's the original Piglet:

.jpg   Piglet copy.jpg (Size: 70.12 KB / Downloads: 327)

I believe this photo dates from just after the second world war, but any further details gratefully received!
(21-09-2017, 08:29 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I'm 'scraping the barrel' with these two, the quality is pretty dreadful, but nevertheless they deserve a wider audience ...

The first is a complete unknown - special or obscure coachbuilt? - competing in an unknown gymkhana of unknown date:

Many of you will be familiar with Longstone Tyres, and may know that Dougal Cawley has a very rapid Frazer Nash special known as Piglet; well,here's the original Piglet:

I believe this photo dates from just after the second world war, but any further details gratefully received!

The first looks like it may be the 1945 Oxted 750 Motor Club meeting. I recognise the blurry style!

The second looks like good fun, sort of early motocross?
C. A. P. A. Racing?
I'm sure you're right, Alan - I couldn't recall the right set of initials! In which case, the photo is probably just pre-war, as CAPA turned into the 500cc formula pretty soon after the war.
(21-09-2017, 12:00 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I'm sure you're right, Alan - I couldn't recall the right set of initials! In which case, the photo is probably just pre-war, as CAPA turned into the 500cc formula pretty soon after the war.

Alan is correct, that is a CAPA meeting of 20/8/39. Piglet was driven by Bill de Selincourt and Nigel Orlebar. I can't decide who is driving in the photo. I remember meeting Nigel at a VSCC Silverstone meeting circa 1966, a really nice chap, very helpful. I had some correspondence with Bill because he owned one of the Williams cars for a while and he too proved very generous with time and information. Nice to be reminded of them, thanks Michael.
Regards,
Stuart
A one-time friend and I had the idea that we should resurrect CAPA racing, in the mid 70s. I probably owe my life to the fact that we never did.