The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
original advertising
Hi Douglas, don't worry about taking over the thread.

I like to see it, it brings many things forward that we would miss otherwise.

Like the footage.

Tony.
(16-03-2018, 04:58 PM)John Penny Wrote: What a lovely old film. So nostalgic.

I watch things like that and almost get an ache in my heart for our lovely old country, as it was.

I know everything wasn't great back then, I'm not that naive, but I would so love to go back there for a nice long visit at least.

If only I had a Time Machine. Wonderful stuff Smile

What a great slice of the past.

Probably carefully staged for the film but there were a larger number of cars around in the city shots but almost none in the country shots - except for the seaside.

The seaside buses looked very early models.

Cheers, Tony.
It's been a while since I saw that film.  Apart from Bournemouth seafront near the pier, I recognise Winchester with King Alfred's Statue, and the A3090 running through Hursley village to the South-West of Winchester.  Anyone who has driven through there will know that it hasn't changed all that much in appearance, apart from more traffic and the absence of those telegraph poles with umpteen insulators !
(15-03-2018, 11:58 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi Tony

Have you seen this film of a 1932 Dealers Show room, the only sign in the show room says “Overseas” all very bland.

https://youtu.be/kXPMAWLrQzM

Although do you have one of theses signs.

In going through the Austin Dealers lists there is over 1,000 Dealers in 1936, compared with Triumph who for the same year list about 60, I don’t know how that would compare with any Triumph dealer signs you have seen.

Douglas

As a matter,of interest, this sign first appeared in the Austin Service manuals for March/April 1931 and was priced at £4.17.6d. It was also stated that there were a few of the enamel signs still available at £12/6d.
I have just one of the re-manufactured signs available at - wait for it - £198. Plus P&P. The next sign to be re-manufactured will be the one which suggests that KLG spark plugs are the only ones fitted in Austin engines. Let me know if interested.
Jim.
(15-03-2018, 07:29 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi chris,

Good to see the site being developed.

I did wonder if lack of "variation". was down to funding.

Most of there signs tend to advertise sales and services. Wich suggest they are showroom signs. But surely austin had as many outlets as morris.

It's strange there signage advertising, rearly included individual models as well, nothing with austin 7, 10, 12, 16, 20. On, just sales or service?

I would have though showrooms would have more advertising up. On individual models + prices.

Under morris, I have several individuals models and prices on advertising. Especially on cardboard.

Tony.
Hi Tony, 
The simple answer to your question would be that a vitreous enamel sign would be expected to be in place for a considerable number of years, hence simply 'Ausin Service' or 'Austin Dealer'. To advertise an individual Austin model, such as for example the 'Seven' would simply not have been cost effective as changes in their design every year or so would have given such signs only a very short life span.
Jim.

(15-03-2018, 04:57 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Any sensible views on why there seams to be so little original austin advertising surviving.

There seams to be plenty of paperwork / catalogues. Pre-war and vintage.

But not much signage etc. Especially pre-war.

We're as there seams to be plenty of morris??

Thanks Tony.

Hi Tony,
What a fantastic couple of early signs. May I suggest that these date from the very early beginnings of the Austin Motor Company and would confidently date them as being around 1907/8.
Jim.
The light box sign priced at £4. 17s. 6d in 1931 equates to just over £300 in today's money.
Hi Guys.
For those who think Sevens are quaint (not us of course) try driving one of the 'tramocars' tootling along the undercliff in Bournemouth. Tiller steering, side mounted engine, solid tyres and transmission brake are just a few thills for the driver piloting one of those Shelvoke and Drewry Freighters, more commonly known for their ullustrious(?) dust carts. Bournemouth Corporation Transport was always known to keep their fleet running well into old age - where else could you take a ride in a bright yellow open top trolley bus with quite spectacular free lightening show, delightful on a warm summer evening. Ah holiday memories!
H & S would insist on hard hat, face mask ,fireproof suit, safety boots and gloves +++, just to get on the trolley bus nowdays.
And now back to the subject of original advertising.
Peter.