The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
original advertising
Lovely bit of period footage and voiceover. At the end of its useful, that crane operator's 'cabin' in the closing scenes would have made a wonderful garage for a baby Austin!
What a lovely old film. So nostalgic.

I watch things like that and almost get an ache in my heart for our lovely old country, as it was.

I know everything wasn't great back then, I'm not that naive, but I would so love to go back there for a nice long visit at least.

If only I had a Time Machine. Wonderful stuff Smile
Eeeh the rickets and the TB, no antibiotics and us heads shaved an' painted wi' gentian violet against t' ringworm.

The countryside must have been lovely without all the traffic, ironic that!
(16-03-2018, 07:11 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Eeeh the rickets and the TB, no antibiotics and us heads shaved an' painted wi' gentian violet against t' ringworm.

The countryside must have been lovely without all the traffic, ironic that!

Yes I did say I'm not totally blind in my rose tinted spec's.

Motoring must have been so much more pleasurable and good old England would be a great place to visit.

I've just watched "All that is England" again http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/films/   Another healthy dose of nostalgia and great to see a Big Seven Sixlite as one of the stars Big Grin
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the excellent footage, hadn't seen it before. The crane is brilliant.

The light box pictured is excellent, but can't help but think it's a bit naive in manufacture. The lettering is usually more accurate, and the pediment looks roughly cut out.

I'm not very good at doing links, if someone wants to try, but on alan chandlers website ( petroliana ). Under light boxs, he has an outside light box with original glass. And new pediment.

Thanks Tony.
(16-03-2018, 08:20 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the excellent footage, hadn't seen it before. The crane is brilliant.

The light box pictured is excellent, but can't help but think it's a bit naive in manufacture. The lettering is usually more accurate, and the pediment looks roughly cut out.

I'm not very good at doing links, if someone wants to try, but on alan chandlers website ( petroliana ). Under light boxs, he has an outside light box with original glass. And new pediment.

Thanks Tony.
Hi Tony

The sign is similar on Peroliana, the one in the film may be rough due to image quality.  Looks nice in colour.

http://www.petroliana.co.uk/View.asp?ID=3034
thanks douglas,

the signs are simular, but different signs.

the only in your old footage follows the same shape as the enamel version it is copying. ie the sides are not parrallel.

were as the one on petroliana, is parrallel sided and by a known manufacturer. i have two of these casses, same size. and may be able to get the manufacturers name.

tony
Thanks for the link, fascinating stuff although I am a little taken back at the speed the cars appear to go. I assume it isnot speeded up as the pedestrians and horses seem to be moving at a natural pace
Lovely piece of film. Not seen a close up of the crane before. The "hill" being climbed about 2 minutes is Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb. Makes a contrast to how it looks now.
Not wanting to take over Tony's thread.  Does anyone recognise the all/any of the location.  I would be intrested in knowing the Dealer in the film. 

The sea front is Bournemouth Pier to Boscome Pier, I recognise that bit, I have a photo of our car on the sea front.

Chawton village, Hampshire shown from the rear window of a car travelling south from 7.41 to 8.09, from the youtube feed back.

Shelsley Walsh as pointed out, missed that one and I have raced up the hill, lots more trees now.