The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
original advertising
Any sensible views on why there seams to be so little original austin advertising surviving.

There seams to be plenty of paperwork / catalogues. Pre-war and vintage.

But not much signage etc. Especially pre-war.

We're as there seams to be plenty of morris??

Thanks Tony.

[attachment=2423]

[attachment=2424]
Tony,
The simple explanation is that compared with Morris Motors, Austin's did very little in the way of advertising by means of signage, posters etc. 
They appeared to have relied on press advertising and were excellent in their supply of brochures and catalogues.
In the coming weeks the A7CA will have a large quantity of brochures and general Seven literature posted up on our website

Chris Garner
A7CA Archive Group.
Hi chris,

Good to see the site being developed.

I did wonder if lack of "variation". was down to funding.

Most of there signs tend to advertise sales and services. Wich suggest they are showroom signs. But surely austin had as many outlets as morris.

It's strange there signage advertising, rearly included individual models as well, nothing with austin 7, 10, 12, 16, 20. On, just sales or service?

I would have though showrooms would have more advertising up. On individual models + prices.

Under morris, I have several individuals models and prices on advertising. Especially on cardboard.

Tony.
Perhaps an established and respectable Motor Car manufacturer like Austin felt they were more refined than an upstart like Morris who was a mere imitator and assembler, Austin may well have not wished to sink to this level of garish advertising! Lol
And before anyone starts my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek Smile
Black Art Enthusiast
Tony,

If you look through the Austin Service Journals over the years you will see very little advertising offered to dealers relative to the number of models and volume of vehicles being manufactured.

Chris
Thanks chris,

I've never looked through the jernals.

I guess I'm not a big reader.

I thought with something like the austin 7, there would be more cheaper card based cheap made ( NEW MODEL) as there are so many different types of 7.

Or even ( first £100 austin 7 ).

But it just doesn't seem to have been there in the first place, or servived.

I know a lot of companies were listed as light car sales. So would have stocked the austin 7 along with other makes. So sales room advertising to draw in the customer to your product was key.

Maybe austin missed a trick?

Tony.
Hi Tony

Have you seen this film of a 1932 Dealers Show room, the only sign in the show room says “Overseas” all very bland.

https://youtu.be/kXPMAWLrQzM

Although do you have one of theses signs.

In going through the Austin Dealers lists there is over 1,000 Dealers in 1936, compared with Triumph who for the same year list about 60, I don’t know how that would compare with any Triumph dealer signs you have seen.

Douglas
(15-03-2018, 11:58 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi Tony

Have you seen this film of a 1932 Dealers Show room, the only sign in the show room says “Overseas” all very bland.

https://youtu.be/kXPMAWLrQzM

Although do you have one of theses signs.

In going through the Austin Dealers lists there is over 1,000 Dealers in 1936, compared with Triumph who for the same year list about 60, I don’t know how that would compare with any Triumph dealer signs you have seen.

Douglas

Hi Douglas,
One thing they did have new were drip trays
Hadn't seen that film before, what a treat!
Cor! I still use an alloy drip tray just like those; my grandfather acquired it from the Mann Egerton showrooms in Prince of Wales Road, Norwich before the War - it never occurred to me that it might be a genuine Austin artifact!