The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ-4 Dizzy drive lube
Hi All,

I see that every 500 miles, I'm supposed to lube the dizzy drive via the "greaser/oiler". Please forgive a newbie. I can  not find the greaser/oiler. There is a small threaded hole which is on the horizontal end of the dynamo drive. Is this it and should it have a grease nipple? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erich in Seattle
(11-03-2018, 04:41 AM)Erich Wrote: Hi All,

I see that every 500 miles, I'm supposed to lube the dizzy drive via the "greaser/oiler". Please forgive a newbie. I can  not find the greaser/oiler. There is a small threaded hole which is on the horizontal end of the dynamo drive. Is this it and should it have a grease nipple? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erich in Seattle

I think that the oiler referred to is the bent tube with an oiler flap cap seen on the image here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lucas+...NDATOqeUfM:
Hi Dave,

Helpful picture.

The DK4 has the bent tube.

The DJ4 on the right has a screw in oiler, you fill the cap with grease and screw it in. The caps are easily lost. And not easy to replace.

Tony.
On my DK4, the bent tube, when tightened is horizontal, so I have to slacken it a 1/4 of a turn, lubricate, wait for 10 minutes for lube to disappear down the tube, and then retighten!

The labour intensiveness of these old cars is intolerable!
Hi Tony,

Do you have the caps and where is it located? Is it at the end of the dynamo as I suspected, or on the dizzy itself? It is hard to see anything below the cap. Perhaps it is necessary to remove the side panel on an Ulster to get to it.

Erich in Seattle
Photo may help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you Colin. It seems I have nothing like that on mine.

Erich in Seattle
(11-03-2018, 07:01 PM)Erich Wrote: Thank you Colin. It seems I have nothing like that on mine.

Erich in Seattle

That is the fixed advance DJ4 distributor with a screw in greaser. Yours should be the auto advance DK4 distributor with a bent tube oiler- fitted in the same location.

Cheers, Tony.
Hi Tony,

I found I do have the fitting. It is a DJ-4. However,rather than underneath the condenser, it is opposite 180 degrees from underneath the condenser. It is a center nipple which inclined me to assume it might have been advance adjustment. Oiling done, car is running, but missing badly.Now i have to figure out if it is condenser, coil, or plug wires, or mixture.

Erich in Seattle
Presumably not oil or thin grease on the contacts!
The earthing of distributors can be elusive and erratic