The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military wheels?
I've been offered some 17 inch wheels with what look to be small centres that have the holes/slots right close to the edge of the wheel centre, possibly 6 inch diameter?  They have Olive drab paint on them.  Are they anything worth having?  Solid centres without any markings.

I've never seen any like that before.  The photo is on a phone and I'm a Luddite, hence no photo.

Any advice gratefuly received.   Smile
Military trailer wheels perhaps ?
They sound like the wheels from an army cable-laying trolley - I had some years ago and gave then to a friend who used them on a horse-drawn cart he built using A7 hubs, without the brake drums. From memory the wheel centres were aluminium. I do wonder whether the rims would be any good for an A7 wheel rebuild but I can't remember the spoke pattern. No doubt the more knowledgeable will be along soon!
Alastair
Ah, sounds like they'd be no good for a car, then. Thanks.
(08-03-2018, 11:55 AM)cardiffrob Wrote: Ah, sounds like they'd be no good for a car, then.  Thanks.

There's a couple of 4.00 x 17 military trailer wheels complete with tubular axle beam on eBay now, the vendor is asking £180 for the pair - they're located in Ferndown, Dorset. Note the small probably aluminium solid centres and the stencilled serial numbers YA9460. As mentioned above these are definitely not suitable for car use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/austin-7-whee...SwI59Z7lXj

Looks quite similar. Thanks, Jeff.
There were quite a number of these for sale years ago at Anchor Surplus in Ripley, Derbyshire. Caused a bit of a stir at the time as word went round that there was a supply of new old stock A7 wheels for sale at bargain prices! I think one or two people even bought some not realising they were all but useless.

Steve
They are perfect for little box trailers to tow behind your Seven however, just check the area where the spokes go through the hub carefully for corrosion.