The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster rep body references
Greetings all

I could do with a second and third opinion if I might be so bold.

I'm playing about lining up the bonnet side panels, lower side panels and the radiator cowl.

Rod Yates suggested firstly to level up the bare chassis prior to body trial fitting. I've placed the bare chassis on my elevating table and levelled it up accordingly, then lowered the body on to it, bolting it down.

Rod then said that the lower side panels (not the louvred ones) are then levelled as well, before bolting to the cow horns, then finally the radiator cowl is fitted at right angles to the top of the lower side panels.

All of the above sounds good common sense, and I guess that all vintage cars must have been assembled on level chassis in the factories in general?

My only concern is that the curved ends of the side panels are slightly out with the scuttle curve, though this is not at all onerous to correct. If I were to fit the curves of the side panels into the curve of the scuttle (as the side panels are now), then the lower side panels are not level in relation to the chassis. Clearly though, the louvred upper side panels could be adjusted level, but this would seem wrong.

I am using a BAINES IRS 0117EP rubber moulding around the panels/cowl/bonnet.

My feeling is that levels and right angles must be correct with these things?

Your thoughts would settle my mind, not that I ought to doubt Rod.

regards

Arthur