The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How warm and cozy ?
The S'no Fun  thread is great and its very cool to see the cars out in the snow.

Having not had the pleasure of driving my Seven yet I really have no idea of what the experience would be like in the snow with the cold temperatures that go with it. So while driving our older Volvo to another city in  winter conditions (blowing snow and minus 15C temps)  I starting wondering about how Sevens cope with the cold etc. and if there were any creature comforts.

• Just how warm does a seven get? 
  • How are you all coping with the mist/ frost on the windows?
  • Since the car doesn't have a heater would there be a practical way to produce heat for the interior?
  • Has anyone fitted or come up with a heater installation that works without modifying the car  that it can't be returned to its previous state?

I know this all sounds rather elementary, but I am just curious. The idea of being in a nice cozy seven while driving in the snow is appealing.

Cheers Stephen
I've only ever owned soft-top sevens and even then the top rarely goes up. 'Cosy' is not a word I'd use to describe the experience. Dress well.
Ive never been cold in my RP. Hot, definitely and often. Heater nit required. Only mists up if you keep the windows closed.
If we had this weather regularly, i might invest in one of these, shared on the Austin 7 Facebook page...

http://southwindheater.com/Home.html

But I just layer up.
My experiences:

Ulster - warm toes, thin covering of ice above waist (including beard) in winter, leather driving coat. Stuff blanket down the side nearest the road to stop draft coming behind back and drive half tonneau, if no passengers.

SWB cars - remove carpet near gearbox and place blanket over knees and gearbox, warm air maintains some semblance of comfort.

LWB cars - hot water bottle and layers.
On this topic, who is the best supplier Furlflex (in the UK)? I am facing up to draught proofing the RP. Door gaps are a bit wide for wing piping...
Woolies (trim)
I have done two VSCC Measham Rallies in my 1931 saloon.  For the uninitiated, the Measham Rally is an all-night navigational rally for vintage cars, held in mid- January.
Having previously done the rally in open cars, I took enough clothing to survive an Arctic Expedition.  I soon shed several layers of clothing and did the event in my shirt sleeves, with the drivers window lowered about an inch to stop the screen misting up.
As mentioned on another thread, my saloon is well draught-proofed and it has no heater.
There are three sources of heat that transfer to the interior of the car.   Firstly, the steel bulkhead is within an inch of the hot cylinder block and as such becomes pleasantly warm.  Secondly, the gearbox (3 speed in my case) becomes surprisingly warm after a few miles, especially if the lower gears are used.   Lastly, the exhaust silencer is directly under the passenger floor.
I think that fitting a heater in an Austin 7 saloon is unnecessary if attention has been paid to draught-proofing the car.
After about half an hour our RN saloons get really cosy. The weather at the 1992 Longbridge rally was cold and wet and by Sunday evening we were both cold so we jumped in the Seven and drove about 10 miles, by which time we were nice and warm, bought some fish & chips and drove back arriving nice and warm. The plates between the chassis and body alongside the engine help to warm the car up.
Like Dave's RN saloon I find my 1929 RK fabric saloon is comfortable in cold weather. Plenty of warm air comes through around the gearbox. The engine has a thermostat fitted in the top hose so the engine will run above 80 C. Also the RK has no louvres or vents in the bonnet sides which I think helps too. On longer runs the gearbox, which protrudes into the car, gets hot too. In winter I remove the fan belt too.
Above about 45 mph however cold air gains the advantage and the car gets colder.
The downside is that the car can get very hot in summer. I have a carpet that fits round the gearbox for warmer weather to stop the air from the engine and also reduce the noise level.
Jim