The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tappet cover gasket
I have a block (M163594) fitted with the later cover with a triangular groove for the gasket. The cork replacement is square section....do I have to attack it (carefully) and trim it to a triangular section or (unlikely I think) if I fit it over the groove and hope it stays in place and is squeezed into place....I don't think it will fit with the square section angled into the groove & the opposite angle forming a seal of sorts against the block
Can it be softened to force it into the groove?
Is it the wrong part?
When I removed the tappet cover it had the remains of both a carbonised gasket in the groove together with a flat gasket around the periphery of the tappet chest.
David
David,

Jamie, at the Seven Workshop, has sent me a a large o-ring that fits perfectly into this groove. Maybe worth giving him a call to get one, certainly a lot easier than fitting the cork one which I find to be a total PITA.
Lots of oil escapes from here I have found, and not through the block/c.case joint. Trick is to glue in the rubber/cork gasket and let it dry whilst weighting it down onto a flat surface when drying, so as to achieve a sealable joint.
Fast cornering at Silverstone with a Nippy used to cause clouds of smoke. I wondered why and wrongly blamed the wrong gasket.
Well it went in! On closer inspection the groove is not a vee, but flat bottomed to take the narrower section.
As with so many A7 jobs it takes a bit of cunning & a bit of brute force! I found that once the first 1/2" was in I could press it into place about 1/2" at a time using pliers to exert the force. Surprisingly going round the 90 degree sharp corners was quite easy & I now have a gasket that fits pretty well and evenly all the way round. A little sealant where the cork meets itself and I think it will be ok....we will see!.
Mind you an O ring is the way to go, but I had bought the cork....