The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home/contents/Garage insurance
My house and contents insurance is up for renewal.

I believe that many policies only give limited cover for the contents in a garage. I am sure that most of us have tools and equipment worth values in excess of £1000.

Which company gives sufficient cover for their garage/shed/workshop?

Thanks

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
I believe the NFU are quite good on this matter, they're used to there being items of value in outhouses. I know when I insure classic cars they offer parts cover if that's what you're after?
NFU say they have a minimum annual premium of £400 which counts us out...
I had 11 power tools nicked from my garage which Coop insurance replaced as new, even though some were very tired.This was 2012. They had some sort of deal with Homebase at that time. This was our normal house contents insurance.
You will have a job to better John Lewis Home Insurance.

Bryan.
I think the safest thing is to have the items listed so that there can be no arguments. Never assume everything is covered.

Often if they can get away with it, they will.
Hi roly,

Most contents companies will cover garage equipment.

But be careful, when it comes to claiming. What they understand to be garage equipment are tools you can work around the house with.

So, power tools, spanners, sockets, screwdrivers.

I know from a previous claim. If you want to claim against tools spacific to working on your cars, mic's, pullers, helicoyles and so on. You will have to make sure it's included. Or pay the extra to include them. And trust me when I say get it in writing.

Tony.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.
I better itemise what I have.
I have stuff going back to when I worked in the trade in the 1960s.
And newer stuff......

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
List everything! They have rooms full of suits looking for ways to avoid paying out.
Photographing your tools might be worthwhile. My workshop was burgled when I was away at the Hershey Swapmeet a few years ago. Along with a few other items, the low lifes took a fair few Snap-On spanners and sockets. When I claimed for their replacement, the insurance company's response was 'do you have receipts for all these tools' As most of them were relics of my time as an employee  in an engineering workshop 30 or so years previous -obviously not- However what I did have instead  was a digital photo of each drawer of my tool cabinet with its contents, making it rather difficult for the insurers to claim the tools either hadn't existed or were actually made by the Hokey-Cokey tool company.

BTW, my insurers replaced all the Snap-On stuff directly via Snap-On themselves, the retail value was about £1300 -most of that sum seemed to have been added to my insurance renewal when it came up. Obviously I changed insurers. When searching for another insurer, from reading all the policy wording,  I found that a lot of companies limited the amount payable for any items in "outbuildings" often to around £1000. As that wouldn't replace my garden tractor, let alone anything else; I found a company that simply insured buildings and contents without any ifs, buts or maybe's.