The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amal carbs on production A7?
The other evening North Herts Centre of the 750C had a really interesting presentation by Hugh Barnes about the work being done on the A7CA Archives.

In the course of the talk Hugh showed some slides of the Austin record cards that, in period, kept track of the changes made to A7s throughout their production. One of them caught my eye as it mentions 'Amal' carbs. I'd not heard of them being fitted to A7s. Nor had other people in the room. Just for interest, does anyone know more? Note the very late date - November 1939. Did it ever happen?

I trust the A7CA will not mind me showing this image of part of the card:

.jpg   amal.JPG (Size: 40.72 KB / Downloads: 427)
Good afternoon. I recall replying to a similar post on the old site. I'm away at the moment so I can't photograph the relevant page but these carbs are referenced in the original Austin service journals. Perhaps if anyone has a copy they could do it.

Regards from a long way from the Creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
That November 1939 date is actually a poorly written 1930 date. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a supply problem with the Zenith carbs, and an Amal carb was fitted to random cars for a short period in late 1930.
(27-02-2018, 04:26 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: That November 1939 date is actually a poorly written 1930 date. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a supply problem with the Zenith carbs, and an Amal carb was fitted to random cars for a short period in late 1930.

See Appendix 3 to Wyatt. That shows Amals in November 1930 to cars "B2-6158, B2-6315, B2-6366 etc". Also, pages 119 and 120 of abstracts from 'The Austin Service Journal'.

Steve

I have one of these carbs. It’s been rather cannibalised as many of the jets etc fit the side draft version that is used on my Rover 10/25

I would be interested to see any additional pages of the above as they are a pain to get the transition from bypass to main jets right...these instructions look to be far more useful than the Amal ones!
Purely out of curiosity has anyone first hand experience of using the Amal in comparison with the Zenith, was it a better carburettor that was more expensive so not generally used, or was it an inferior substitute. Academic question maybe but I would be interested to know.
Black Art Enthusiast
(27-02-2018, 09:39 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Purely out of curiosity has anyone first hand experience of using the Amal in comparison with the Zenith, was it a better carburettor that was more expensive so not generally used, or was it an inferior substitute. Academic question maybe but I would be interested to know.

Wasn't it around the time Zenith went from bronze to die-cast ? Possibly a hitch in production caused the quick substitution - either more  expensive or not as good ?

I haven't seen an Amal up-draught here so can't help on performance.

Cheers, Tony.
looks like they may have been cast iron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMAL-Updraft-...7675.l2557
Just for the purposes of Academic study, might someone buy this and fit it to a car for research purposes? Sadly, I don't have the right car (*great excuse)...

Hugh