The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaking Petrol Pump
I'm working on the back axle on our Pearl, so have the rear jacked up quite high. The petrol tank has about 2 gallons in iit and is above the level of the petrol pump.
I now find that the pump is leaking petrol, probably from the top/bowl gaskets. I haven't investigated further until I can drop the rear again, as I don't want more petrol leaking everywhere.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it the dreaded ethanol rot to the cork/rubber gaskets? Any other thoughts?
Martin
Could be as easy as a bit of something in the non return set up
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(23-02-2018, 05:39 PM)Martin Baker Wrote: I'm working on the back axle on our Pearl, so have the rear jacked up quite high. The petrol tank has about 2 gallons in iit and is above the level of the petrol pump.
I now find that the pump is leaking petrol, probably from the top/bowl gaskets. I haven't investigated further until I can drop the rear again, as I don't want more petrol leaking everywhere.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it the dreaded ethanol rot to the cork/rubber gaskets? Any other thoughts?
Martin

You have the petrol level in the tank above the pump and petrol's leaking from the pump? Assume you have a mechanical AC pump? Happens with electric SU pump as well. It's the result of the effects of gravity!! Restore the status quo, problem should go away.

Steve
I think it would be fair to say that no leaks should appear unless the tank is above the carb, in the case of a Pearl fitted with a 26 va Carb the tank would be almost 45 degrees . In Martins case with probably a Nippy carb fitted even more. Back to first question , why is it leaking
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
If you cannot readily obtain or make the proper gasket, I have used O rings in AC pumps.
A pump which leaks petrol will also leak air and may operate erratically.
Very mnay pumps on other cars operate below petrol level. When disconnecting often convenient to raise the front high.
It is annoying but the classic unions, olives etc of older cars are vastly more prone to leak than the crude clamped tubing of moderns. Still not excuse to use on a vinatge.
I think it would be fair to say that no leaks should appear unless the tank is above the carb, in the case of a Pearl fitted with a 26 va Carb the tank would be almost 45 degrees . In Martins case with probably a Nippy carb fitted even more. Back to first question , why is it leaking