The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidelights and Type 65 & Nippies
Good evening. Was the type 65 fitted with sidelights in the headlamps and the Nippy with wing mounted sidelights? Perusal of the gallery would suggest this.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
I can confirm my type 65 has sidelights in the headlamps.
And my Nippy had them on the wings.
(22-02-2018, 07:12 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good evening. Was the type 65 fitted with sidelights in the headlamps and the Nippy with wing mounted sidelights? Perusal of the gallery would suggest this.

Stuart
Yes
Good evening. Many thanks for the replies. I am in the process of writing up the usage of Lucas lighting products and the Austin 7 using what I have gleaned over the years and Lucas documentation (which isn't always accurate) and I was uncertain about the sports models.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Stuart
(23-02-2018, 09:48 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good evening. Many thanks for the replies. I am in the process of writing up the usage of Lucas lighting products and the Austin 7 using what I have gleaned over the years and Lucas documentation (which isn't always accurate) and I was uncertain about the sports models.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Stuart

Stuart,

Are you including the Lucas 'switchboxes' in the write up ?

I have a copy of the Lucas Spare Parts &complete units Austin 7 hp 1927-30 which lists

Switchbox - SM1 (magneto ignition)
Switchbox - SM3/ER 1 (magneto ignition)
Switchbox - SM3 BN7  (coil ignition)

I wonder is this a misprint for SM5 BN7 ?

I had not seen this BN7 suffix before but a picture of the rear of an SM5 switchbox showed a brass tag stamped SM5 BN7.

I understood the early SM5 Switchbox didn't have a resistor wire for the warning bulb listed on the Lucas sheet as SM/MES 8/9V

I wonder if the later ? SM5 with resistor wire had a suffix ? 

There is also an interesting listing for Ignition Coils but that is for another time.

Cheers, Tony.
Hello Tony, at the moment I am concentrating on Lucas lighting 1928 -1938.
I have become a 'skier' (spending the kids inheritance) on original Lucas documentation but I don't have a Lucas parts list which embraces the changeover from mag to coil.
I think I have identified a number of differences between the publications and production (one concerning a pattern of tail light that appears in the publications but I can find no evidence of it actually ever being fitted). Perhaps printing lagged behind actual production and the parts were never actually fitted.

Stuart