The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering and ROSE joints
Dennis,
You are having a laugh/taking the wee wee Big Grin Wink 
Although I can remember everything about the conversion as well as semi-dry sump to the engine absolutely no luck with sizes.
Your car certainly won't be putting the same sort of strain my car experienced braking at the end of that long Straight at Kyalami, or the entry into Esses 2 which was positive camber and heading skywards towards Leeukop.
1.1/4-1.1/2" tube and 5/8-3/4" threaded Rose joints springs to mind BUT don't hold me to that please?
No doubt over engineered as it my wont.

New boiler is one of the Combi Worcester units fitted in the Airing cupboard, thus doing away with the Geyser/hot water tank, and freeing up loads of storage space.
Previous one was a Keston Condensing installed in '93 and having just about everything replaced, the last to go belly up being the control unit, it having been replaced a few years ago.

Geoff - Oh what a pleasure having central heating again, after nearly 4months without!

Edited as smileys didn't appear at the end of first sentence
(22-02-2018, 07:19 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Paul, from the pictures I have seen your car would appear to be an attractive and well engineered special, would you consider a thread giving us a few details about your build and some more photos. I for one would be fascinated and I feel sure I would not be alone.

Hi Ian,
I will put up some photos over the next few days.
Please bear in mind my car is an 'Austin' special made up of Austin parts manufactured by the factory over an 18 year period. The chassis is 7 of 1937/38 vintage shortened to 75". The car is an out and out special in the British tradition and has absolutely no history. I enjoyed building it incorporating some of my design ideas which seem to have paid off in terms of road holding and handling. This coming season of sprints and hill climbs will be the proof of the pudding. Of course allowances have to be made for my driving!!

Paul N-M
Hi Dennis,

Drag link is the tube between the steering box and the arm on the axle.
I have drilled and tapped 1/4 BSF into both end caps of my drag link and use a machine screw and lock nut.
this is cheap easy and will limit the amount the springs in the caps will move.
My steer loads up in hard cornering.
If you turn the steering with the car stationary does the front of the car move from side to side.
If you turn left does the front move to the left, 
If it does then when on the road you are fighting the weight of the front of the car as you turn.

Best of luck Richard
Edited the first sentence of my post as just noticed that the smileys didn't appear when first posted.

Geoff
(22-02-2018, 12:53 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Presume when you say Rose Joints , you mean Rod Ends -Rose Joints are something slightly different.

Stuart....Thanks for the references.
Nomenclature ....I was going by what Wiki and several other sites called them.  What is the difference Rod end to Rose Joint?
(24-02-2018, 08:16 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(22-02-2018, 12:53 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Presume when you say Rose Joints , you mean Rod Ends -Rose Joints are something slightly different.

Nomenclature ....I was going by what Wiki and several other sites called them.  What is the difference Rod end to Rose Joint?

Hi Dennis,
There is no difference rose Brothers Developed a better Quality rod end during the 2nd World war for aircraft and it has become a generic name ever since.
They are now owned by a Japanese Company
[/quote]
Hi Dennis,
There is no difference rose Brothers Developed a better Quality rod end during the 2nd World war for aircraft and it has become a generic name ever since.
[/quote]
Precisely as I had known.

Dennis
Dennis, I never had much success with rose joints on road cars. They are expensive and don’t cope well with road dirt. Different on a racing car, though. The other thing you might want to think about is that the spring loaded joints at the ends of the drag link ( come on, you knew what it was all along, really) are there for a reason.
(23-02-2018, 11:07 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi Dennis,

Drag link is the tube between the steering box and the arm on the axle.
I have drilled and tapped 1/4 BSF into both end caps of my drag link and use a machine screw and lock nut.
this is cheap easy and will limit the amount the springs in the caps will move.
My steer loads up in hard cornering.
If you turn the steering with the car stationary does the front of the car move from side to side.
If you turn left does the front move to the left, 
If it does then when on the road you are fighting the weight of the front of the car as you turn.

Best of luck Richard
That was what I did but also with thin nut welded on ends because I felt cap was too thin to take the strain. First effort no good because bolt fouled steering box drop arm......welded nut ground down till clearance achieved.  I would just like to make it a better looking and engineered device.

Steering loading up.......have you tried Mollyslip mixed into lubricant ....or better still 10% SYNIONIC  Anti Friction Metal Treatment (AFMT). A genuine working product....I have the lab reports proving it.

Front movement.......It is all in bits at moment!! and don't remember how it reacts........one damper end fixed to axle without link.

On 15 inch wheels at 70+ on motorways It is quite steady...at 80+ (on continental roads of course) still ok.......On 19 inch (as used when doing MCC trials)......a bit scary even at legal 60mph.

My first Nippy converted to Bowden IFS (twin springs) was a transformation (16 inch wheels then)  The nice man at Bowden in Devon did me a set of photos of their "drawings"

Dennis
(24-02-2018, 08:43 PM)Colin Reed Wrote:
(24-02-2018, 08:16 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:

Hi Dennis,

SKF call them Rod End Bearings- only ever seen then used in racing cars.

http://www.skf.com/group/industry-soluti...index.html

Cheers, Tony.