The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salvaging what you have
This relates to the thread "They are still out there !" showing why some cars take longer to restore than others.....

Things are moving slow but steady on the various components of my Seven. I am pleased to say that one of the rear wings is now finished and restored, with work started on the other.

Both were severely trimmed (dare I say butchered?) to remove corrosion on the inside to the extent that there was no lip and only remnants of the rear plate and plenty of extra bolt holes for good measure.

I made a heavy form jig to hold everything square and made up the repair section and welded it into the wing.

.jpg   JIG 1.JPG (Size: 136.51 KB / Downloads: 543)

Once this was done I made up the back panel by forming a wired edge and spot welding it to the wing.

One wing down, one to go.

Cheers,
Stephen
(19-02-2018, 03:59 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: This relates to the thread "They are still out there !" showing why some cars take longer to restore than others.....

Things are moving slow but steady on the various components of my Seven. I am pleased to say that one of the rear wings is now finished and restored, with work started on the other.

Both were severely trimmed (dare I say butchered?) to remove corrosion on the inside to the extent that there was no lip and only remnants of the rear plate and plenty of extra bolt holes for good measure.

I made a heavy form jig to hold everything square and made up the repair section and welded it into the wing.

Once this was done I made up the back panel by forming a wired edge and spot welding it to the wing.

One wing down, one to go.

Cheers,
Stephen

Hi Stephen, Are the rear mudguards the ones I gave you or are you using them as a pattern.
Hi Ken,
I've used the mudguards you gave me as patterns to check against the ones I have. Many thanks for them.
Stephen
Great work!
Thanks for sharing, allways great to see what others are up to.
Excellent work.
What tools did you use?

Geoff - Still in hibernation mode ?
Geoff I used the following:

selection of hammers, dollies, sheet metal shears, Mig welder to weld the angle steel jig, Oxy Acetylene with 000 tip to hammer weld the sheet metal and a spot welder to attach the rear panel to the wing.

To form the wired edge the sheet metal was clamped between thick MDF board that had the profile of the edge that needed to be turned 90 degrees matching this profiled shape. After removal from the form, the edge was further turned back and the wire added and the lip closed and clenched.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Cheers,

Stephen