The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake cable fraying
Hi
What is available to stop the end of the brake cable from fraying ?
Thanks everyone
(18-02-2018, 08:38 PM)morrisminor Wrote: Hi
Thanks everyone

Several options ,  whipp with copper wire,  crimp with copper tube/ hydraulic brake pipe.  or possibly shrink sleeving.
Doesn't happen very often but when it does, I've used shrink sleeve successfully.

Steve
Thanks everyone

The forked end and the ball socket end fitted on the cable ?

Cheers, Tony.
(18-02-2018, 10:51 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
Thanks everyone

Cheers, Tony.
The cables now sold in the UK are adjustable at the forked end Tony, with the cable end exiting through an escape hole and secured by a pinch bolt. A dob of solder at the fraying end can save pricked fingers.
Never store your spare coiled up brake cables under the passenger seat, ask me how I know this !!   cheers  Russell
Having had problems with an old cable fraying back into the pinch bolt, making adjustment almost impossible and I assumed making the cable dangerous to assume it was pinching, I soldered the end of the new one, which also had about a foot of extra length anyway and all seems good and was v easy to do (on a new cable anyway). I was tempted to touch it with MIG but the solder is neater I think and there is no strength required. 
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Black nylon cable tie works ok.
(19-02-2018, 12:32 AM)squeak Wrote:
(18-02-2018, 10:51 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
Thanks everyone

Cheers, Tony.
The cables now sold in the UK are adjustable at the forked end Tony, with the cable end exiting through an escape hole and secured by a pinch bolt. A dob of solder at the fraying end can save pricked fingers.
Never store your spare coiled up brake cables under the passenger seat, ask me how I know this !!   cheers  Russell
Be a devil Russell, Dont keep is in suspense.

Geoff - Norhing to add.
Geoff, i'm sure your imagination can paint a sufficiently lurid picture. To give it something to work on, lets say the cable welds itself to the terminals and I  instantly stop a fire with my bare hands.  My NEW front cable  MAY still be OK as a rear, I must look now you have made me think.  cheers  Russell