The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aero-screen
Spotted on ATF,  would this do for stoney trials?

Attached Files
.jpg   captur35.jpg (Size: 108.98 KB / Downloads: 496)
I think the TT cars had a mesh screen.
To stop the Manx sheep getting between your teeth?
Cry
(17-02-2018, 07:02 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: To stop the Manx sheep getting between your teeth?

Wrong island, Duncan!
I suspect mesh screens reflect the likelihood of being bombarded by good sizes pebbles which would probably crack a toughened screen. Perhaps they also produce less drag although aerodynamics being what it is, maybe not.
Another nice wire screen from ATF here, scroll down for enlargements etc., good old Gallica;

http://tricyclecaristes.forumr.net/t1461...grand-prix

Regards,
Stuart
A couple of vintage photos also seem to show a reflection on the screen that is never the less sagging. Perhaps they also used clear plastic of a sort. I think had read that the TT cars were required to begin the race with the hood erected. There may also have been safety regulations, or common sense safety thought on having a large piece of glass either erected or folded flat on the scuttle.

Erich in Seattle
TT always says Isle of Man to me, I'm an old biker and Ulster does not compute!
I'm an old biker myself, Duncan. Cars ran on the IoM in the RAC TT until they changed to the Ards Circuit in 1928.

Erich
Many years ago I saw a couple of mesh screens at an auto jumble. I was told they were often used on the longer distance races where the rules started the cars had to run with the hood up for a time.

The person selling them told me they were ex 2lt Lagonda.
Colin, I had referred to this and looked it up. At least in 1928 and '29, cars were required to race with the hood up for the first two laps. 

Erich