The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sunvisor ruby
My motley collection.

I have one further glass (tinted pinky/maroon) that was fitted to the Pearl when I took it over in the 1990s, I removed it as I was not happy about a sheet of glass in front of my forehead whilst driving.

I will come across it in a safe place, one day....

Good morning. I have an early (1934) Pearl and it is fitted with a fabric covered sun visor. Why would Herbert fit a more expensive glass and brass sunvisor to the Pearl and a fabric one to other models?
I think that it was a question of supply and what they bought in and strikes were not unknown in the supply chain.
In the words of a gentleman who worked at 'The Austin'  "we fitted what came down the chute - you could never say that part 'x' was never fitted to model 'y'".

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Is there an after market one for the Opal or ORT. With no roof and only a thin strip of frame, I'm in danger of buying a flat cap.

On the subject of foreheads, I am far more worried by the wiper motor. ?
Foreheads are a very touchy subject in my family!

On the subject of any claims to originality, based on any vehicle we own - not good a good idea, they are all 'original' but not in the 'authentic' way!
(16-02-2018, 11:07 AM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good morning. I have an early (1934) Pearl and it is fitted with a fabric covered sun visor. Why would Herbert fit a more expensive glass and brass sunvisor to the Pearl and a fabric one to other models?
I think that it was a question of supply and what they bought in and strikes were not unknown in the supply chain.
In the words of a gentleman who worked at 'The Austin'  "we fitted what came down the chute - you could never say that part 'x' was never fitted to model 'y'".

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Hi stuart,

You may find Herbert fitted the expensive visor standard to the pearl because it was the top end of the gem model range at £128.00

They were also fitted with a lot more expensive fabrics when new. 

Also locking petrol caps.

I understand the rexine one pictured on ebay is the standard fit For the Ruby. But as many rubies were sold as deluxe with a sunroof. I would have thought austin would offer an upgrade for a small fee.

The glass visors work in a way that when the sunroof is open, it folds out far enough to work as a visor through the sunroof.

Tony.
(16-02-2018, 12:20 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: This is on eBay...
My very original Dove Grey Austin 7 Ruby Mk2 (de-luxe saloon) ADY 95 in Rinsey Mill's Book 'Original Austin Sevens' has a grey (similar to car's upholstery) rexine covered sun visor only on the driver's side.
Hi all.

Was searching the archive for sun visors and came upon this thread. Does anyone have the dimensions for the refine covered ruby visor. I want to make a couple for my ruby that I’m in the middle of restoring.

Cheers,
Jason
My ARQ Ruby came with a dilapidated board visor that had been stripped of the outer material which I later found in amongst various other oily components and was beyond use.
But around the time I began my initial restoration, Bryan Purves’ ARQ Ruby, registration BUU 684, was featured in the October 1984 edition of The Automobile magazine and his had the glass visor, his was I believe fitted in the vehicle he purchased, but whether that is original or not……
In ignorance I went for the glass (plastic) version which is a repro purchased from one of our trusted suppliers which I believed to be correct but…….
An "interior visor", made by Auster, was standard on the deluxe Ruby from its inception Here's the one fitted to our1934 Ruby. There are two patent numbers cast into the mounting bracket, one from 1931, the other from 1933; these are shown below. Auster, a Birmingham company, had been in the business of windscreens, visors and motoring accessories for a very long time indeed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Auster2.jpg (Size: 129.61 KB / Downloads: 72)
My first Austin 7, a March 1936 ARQ had the folding glass sun visor on a chrome hinge.  I think it was the original fitting.  I always thought it could be dangerous in a shunt but so could the doors that had a tendency to fly open and the window glass that dropped like a stone if you hit a bump.
I find that Austin 7's are nicer to drive in bright sunshine than modern cars, a vertical windscreen and a roof that extends in front of your head is better than a piece of glass the size of a shop window laid almost flat.