The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gordon England body badges...
E C Gordon England had a series of patents in his name.
Much of it concerned with plywood body construction
Carried over from his earlier work on aircraft and also
about the rubber mounting of bodies on chassis frames.
Ruairidh has published some of these patents on the Gordon England
Register webpages.

I’m not sure but many GE cars were primarily sold via the
Austin Dealer Network, as they the featured in main line
Austin sales catalogues.

However racing models like the Brooklands were probably
Built to order? And sold directly? To owner/Drivers?

I’ve often wondered if coachbuilders had to pay up front for rolling chassis from the Austin works
But it’s interesting that such chassis carried plate that stated they” were the property of the Austin
Motor Company”. Implying that they were supplied on credit?
Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
My understanding is that the Austin Motor Co commissioned Gordon England and Mulliner bodies (hence their appearance in the Austin brochures), which were then sold through the Austin Dealer network with a full Austin warranty. Presumably these chassis were not invoiced out to the respective coachbuilders, and were therefore fitted with the 'ownership' plates to ensure that they were identified as Austin property in case the coachbuilder went out of business. The G E Brooklands was rather different, since they also received chassis modifications by Gordon England, and these were probably sold independently of the Austin sales network.

Most small scale coachbuilders would buy their chassis at trade price - cash with order/delivery probably - and therefore became the coachbuilder's property and did not have the 'ownership' plates fitted.

William Lyons seems to have been unique in ordering in bulk and building up his own dealership network - no doubt he already had big ambitions!
Dear Mike

Thanks for the useful information.

Bill G
Bill,

Don't quote me as gospel! That's just my interpretation from the information to hand - I could be quite wrong!
Hi Mike
But you tell a good story and I’m a believer!

Bill G
Thanks Ruairidh
Are there meant to be 1 per side which means £200+/car which sounds very expensive. The price and pure vanity (do not include Scotland and they don't really go with green fabric !) put me off purchasing them a year ago from the same source but if they were cheaper with say, bulk purchase, I might contemplate them. Look very nicely made though...might just take a photo of one, weatherproof it and stick it on ! Such things do tend to get nicked.
Only one to fit James.

There may be other/alternative suppliers you could look into.
Fattorini in Birmingham for example...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintage-ra...334773128/

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintage-racing/20166239868/in/album-72157635334773128/][/url]Or you could make your own. 

Peter