The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pips in the manifold!
I decided to take the carburettor off the AG to clean it out ( the AG has a "sports" head. & manifolds) and a downdraft Zenith 30VE1 carburettor no 3935.
With the carb off I could see into the inlet manifold and there was a good quantity of what I think are cherry stones in there! I have had plenum chambers filled full of nuts placed there by squirrels in the past, but this is a new one!
I decided Hoovering them out might not be enough, so set about removing the manifold. The four vertical bolts came out and the  nuts on the exhaust manifold (I undid all, but I think only the middle ones are relevant. The inlet manifold is now loose, but will only pull away from the head about 1/4". No amount of jiggling nor light tapping wit a soft hammer will shift it.
What else has to come off? Please not the exhaust manifold & flange joint!
Or do I hit it harder!
These sports inlet manifolds are best assembled on the bench as a unit with the exhaust, ensuring the block faces of both are perfectly in line, and then fitted as a complete assembly to the engine. I would also suggest having disturbed the inlet manifold gasket face it is probably wise to replace the entire gasket, I know you can sometimes get away with reusing these but a troublesome air leak here is an even greater pain in the proverbial to correct later.
David, not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but as the car is new to you with an unknown service history I would strongly recommend you whip the head off and do a valve grind at the same time, a small amount of additional hassle now that could save you an awful lot of grief later on. Cutting corners may work at times but often comes comes back to slap you around the face, my ruddy cheeks are testament to that!
Black Art Enthusiast
(10-02-2018, 09:37 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: These sports inlet manifolds are best assembled on the bench as a unit with the exhaust, ensuring the block faces of both are perfectly in line, and then fitted as a complete assembly to the engine. I would also suggest having disturbed the inlet manifold gasket face it is probably wise to replace the entire gasket, I know you can sometimes get away with reusing these but a troublesome air leak here is an even greater pain in the proverbial to correct later.
David, not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but as the car is new to you with an unknown service history I would strongly recommend you whip the head off and do a valve grind at the same time, a small amount of additional hassle now that could save you an awful lot of grief later on. Cutting corners may work at times but often comes comes back to slap you around the face, my ruddy cheeks are testament to that!
Thank you Ian....
I think that will be the way to go. I had left the square manifold to pipe flange fasteners soaking in easing fluid in anticipation!
 Taking the head off is straight forward (well it was in 1958 when I last did it!)
The carb to manifold gasket was wrong...and restricting the airflow, so possibly a warning of things to come!
I still don't know why the inlet manifold will not "slide" out....perhaps squirrels' nuts are in the way!!
I wonder what the 3935 number indicates on the carb, it doesn't seem to match up with anything....someone may know!
D
Watch this space!
there are a few bits on the VE1 numbers on 'ere... https://aus7in.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/...burettors/
(10-02-2018, 09:55 PM)JonE Wrote: there are a few bits on the VE1 numbers on 'ere... https://aus7in.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/...burettors/

Thanks!
David
Well the manifolds are off. Inlet pretty full of pips etc, the exhaust had a significant coating of carbon that just flakes off. One corner of the square exhaust flange is chipped, but no sign of leakage. The No 1 exhaust port was half covered by a piece of broken gasket! The exhaust pipe was without a rear mounting! Clunk!
Head nuts & top water manifold nuts all came undone (leaving the studs in place!) no nice fat washers....skinny internal tooth ones! The head is still in place, I'm off for a few days, so it can sit there & dream of freedom!
D