The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel tank sender screws
Are the fuel tank sender retaining screws 1/4 BSF? For my 1935 Opal.
Thanks
Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Hi Roly

I can't remember which size it was but I have the correct tap if you need to borrow it

drop me a PM
(09-02-2018, 12:26 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: Hi Roly

I can't remember which size it was but I have the correct tap if you need to borrow it

drop me a PM

Thanks David, I’ll bear that in mind. Roly.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
(09-02-2018, 12:43 PM)Roland Alcock Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 12:26 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: Hi Roly

drop me a PM

Thanks David, I’ll bear that in mind. Roly.
I seem to recall on the old forum someone said they are the same as the old "Meccano" screws .
Good afternoon all. Original Meccano screws are (were) 5/32" Whitworth.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
Stuart
Thank you.
Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
(09-02-2018, 11:54 AM)Roland Alcock Wrote: Are the fuel tank sender retaining screws 1/4 BSF? For my 1935 Opal.
Thanks
Roly

Hi Roly
The original thread was 3BA - not an easy one to source screws!
On some tanks the thread was 'meccano' or very similar.

I replaced the ones on my '37 ruby with M5.
I doubt if the concours judges would spot it! Big Grin
Cheers
Bob
Ive done the same job with 4 or 5 rear mounted tanks now. On RP's, Rubys, and a big 7. Every time ive used 5/32 BSW meccano screws. Fits perfectly. No tap required usually. Given I havnt got one thats good. I just make a primitive chaser on the odd occasion one is tight.
Tank is removed and tank sender is also removed. 4 out of the 6 screws came out once the slot had been cleaned out. The sender pivot was seized and is now free. Lots of scale inside and out on the sender. The float is two wine bottle corks which have become saturated. The resistance range measures evenly across the scale from 1.5 to 20 ohms. I have no idea yet if this is correct. I am optimistic that it will function well once I have fixed the float.

Thank you for the responses.

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
I believe that similar operating arms were used by BMC, british Leyland, Rover et al up until the nineties. My sender has worked since 1985 with a plastic Austin Maxi float which fits perfectly into the loop on the end.

If our cherished suppliers don't have a gasket, one should be available from an Austin Healey Sprite spares supplier