The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fuel taps 1/2 in, 1/2 inch out.
Hi All,

I've got a very stiff fuel tap so I ordered another from one of the usual suppliers, thinking(stupidly) that they must be all the same. What I was sent was 3/8" in and 1/2" out. Does anyone have a source of 1/2 inch in and 1/2 inch out?

I don't want to add an adapter for more opportunities to leak, or somehow patch the tank to a smaller size.

Erich in Seattle
Hi Erich, are you quoting the actual thread diameters there? The fuel tap should have BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) threads.

So your 1/2" in 1/2" out tap would be 1/4" BSP in 1/4" BSP out. BSP thread dimensions here: http://machiningproducts.com/html/BSP-Th...sions.html

1/4" BSP fuel tap here: https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...tap-filter
Sorry Stuart, I do mean 1/4" nominal BSP. The chart is very helpful. The tap you noted would probably work, but is the push/pull type and mine is the lever type. I understand that push/pull types are more prone to leaking I had some experience with that on motorcycles.As the tap sits above the starter on my Ulster Rep, I want to avoid any issues.

Best,

Erich
If you're not too bothered with originality but are concerned about performance, particularly if the tap's not too visible, try using a 1/4" BSP Male/Male mini ball valve tap. Female/Female are more common but can be converted with a couple of male/male adaptors. Fit and forget option that doesn't leak and available from your local hydraulics supplier.

Not the best photo but I'm sure you'll get the idea

Steve
Thank you, Steve.
I take it the Gold Hermatite was not successful?
Ruairidh, I couldn't find my Hermatite Gold. I do have two new taps, in the correct sizes. One is the lever type but with a copper wire mesh screen to fit up into the tank. I opted for this thinking that it will filter out anything that is in the tank that could clog the jets. The other is the push pull type. This latter has a knurled knob on one side and a hex on the other so to tell which is which by feel. Does anyone have experience with these? I realize that the lever type are potentially more positive. However, in my case, the tap is very near the firewall and the lever ends up on the firewall side of the tap so is more difficult to reach and operate.

Erich in cold snowy Seattle hoping to finish insulating my garage and be done with itching from all the glass fibers.