The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Sussex A7 club for potential younger owners
Excellent idea! When you have skills to pass on it's the right thing to do. I hope the venture goes well.
Having just had a very useful serious clear out myself I can recommend it. I have a fairly tidy workshop, I know where almost everything is and I no longer have all that baggage!
I recommend stacking Eurobox type storage, unit sizes which mix and match and they really do deal with the "clutter under the bench".
All of my consumables and regular use stuff stacked and labelled in 48 boxes that stack and are easily accessible and not too heavy to carry.
(10-02-2018, 02:41 PM)GK5268 Wrote: Chichester College run motor mechanics courses at their Brinsbury Campus at Pulborough, which is not a million miles away, might be some interest from the youngsters there?

Arthur

Being just down the road from you, like me I'm sure you're aware that Plumpton College, which is just round the corner from you in Ditchling, has Motor Vehicle courses so another option for you!

But .... reading in your initial message "My rent is cheap, so perhaps I could offer quite cheap garage/workshop space." should for some people be god sent as if one doesn't have a garage or storage space for an Austin 7 or even classic car what hope does one have in maximising enjoyment in owning such a car?

On top of that with your expertise and available facilities such an offer is extremely attractive because  such garage/workshop space in this area is very hard to come by, and dare I say, very expensive!

Your idea is absolutely brilliant and I hope what you're trying to achieve comes about. 

I love working on my Ruby and going out in her & I'd love to be part of it but sadly I'm an old codger so disqualified by virtue of age!!

Happy to chat via email or PM if you like!

Derek
i would have thought that some income-generating activity with non-target (i.e. older or more financially secure) people would actively enrich the experience for the younger ones. Cars being stored would be able to be scrutinised/compared (carefully) and so on, and watching other people doing "work" would just help build the knowledge of ways of doing things.

I wonder if anyone has contemplated vintage cars for the "mens' sheds"-type activity which is used (by grant funding councils) to combat isolation and depression in older folk without good networks in a post-working life, though?
As a little inspiration for you here is an Ulster floor pan built by the guys who come along to our fortnightly workshops. I should make it clear that none of them had any prior experience metal bashing and the entire thing was done with hand tools as anyone could do at home. We now have four built to this basic stage, the fellas are currently constructing a buck for the skins.

Black Art Enthusiast
This is very impressive Ian.
(10-02-2018, 07:24 PM)Derek Simmons Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 02:41 PM)GK5268 Wrote: Chichester College run motor mechanics courses at their Brinsbury Campus at Pulborough, which is not a million miles away, might be some interest from the youngsters there?

Arthur

Being just down the road from you, like me I'm sure you're aware that Plumpton College, which is just round the corner from you in Ditchling, has Motor Vehicle courses so another option for you!

But .... reading in your initial message "My rent is cheap, so perhaps I could offer quite cheap garage/workshop space." should for some people be god sent as if one doesn't have a garage or storage space for an Austin 7 or even classic car what hope does one have in maximising enjoyment in owning such a car?

On top of that with your expertise and available facilities such an offer is extremely attractive because  such garage/workshop space in this area is very hard to come by, and dare I say, very expensive!

Your idea is absolutely brilliant and I hope what you're trying to achieve comes about. 

I love working on my Ruby and going out in her & I'd love to be part of it but sadly I'm an old codger so disqualified by virtue of age!!

Derek

(10-02-2018, 08:59 PM)JonE Wrote: i would have thought that some income-generating activity with non-target (i.e. older or more financially secure) people would actively enrich the experience for the younger ones. Cars being stored would be able to be scrutinised/compared (carefully) and so on, and watching other people doing "work" would just help build the knowledge of ways of doing things.

I wonder if anyone has contemplated vintage cars for the "mens' sheds"-type activity which is used (by grant funding councils) to combat isolation and depression in older folk without good networks in a post-working life, though?
Codgers are always welcome! When is the transition anyway from almost old fart to codger...does it happen seemlessly or I must I begin a special recognition course, or is it when your eyebrows go askew and more hair appears in funny places...I seem to be that way already!

As for isolation and depression...being self employed and often working in a cold shed in Jan/Feb, yep, I got dem blues, but I do understand, actually I ought to explore grants and things. Funnily enough it was only on last years Windmill day that I cam across a local "Men's shed" idea which operates in nearby Burgess Hill, so I must explore these ideas. 

Arthur

(10-02-2018, 07:24 PM)Derek Simmons Wrote:

Arthur

Derek
Hi Derek

Codgers....my arse! Don't worrry about daft things like that, you old codgers know far more about Sevens than I'm ever likely too! 

Drop by, best thing is to call me or email anyway, art@spitfireart.com 01273 843749/07976 312058

When it is warmer and I've cleared current work, the big clear out commences, I've wound the wife up about helping over Easter. What I enjoy most, is seeing vast empty areas in my workshop doing nothing (currently it is there is stuff everywhere), then it gives me ideas, and I fill it up again!

Arthur