The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven (and other) values........
Google christopher Blakey. Celebrate the seven,

I'm sure someone wouldnt mind putting up a link to his London to Tokyo trip.

I first spoke to chris, about 3 years ago. About his ideas of introducing pre war cars and the austin 7 to the younger generation. 

His trip to Tokyo, apart from his interests in rugby. Is to show the austin 7 to the younger generation. And show that they are not an unobtainable and pointless ownership.

I've not yet seen any involvement from the clubs on this matter?

But If chris reads the forum, he may sheer his other ideas of promoting the seven. Or perhaps someone can promp him to do so.

I think he should be given more support in this area, anyone should if they are promoting our 7s.

Tony.
(08-02-2018, 08:41 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Google christopher Blakey. Celebrate the seven,

I first spoke to chris, about 3 years ago. About his ideas of introducing pre war cars and the austin 7 to the younger generation. 

His trip to Tokyo, apart from his interests in rugby. Is to show the austin 7 to the younger generation. And show that they are not an unobtainable and pointless ownership.

But If chris reads the forum, he may sheer his other ideas of promoting the seven. Or perhaps someone can promp him to do so.

I think he should be given more support in this area, anyone should if they are promoting our 7s.

Tony.

I spoke to him a couple of years ago at Beaulieu about it and thought it sounded fascinating. The sort of thing I would love to do, but alas helping other people restore their Sevens keeps me far too busy (no complaints on that front though!). I think it would be a great thing to capture the imagination, but Tony is right. I haven't seen much promotion outside of his own. 
When it comes to people my age the interest often comes (in my experience) from people who already tinker with newer classics. I suspect Sevens are perhaps too daunting for many people totally fresh to old cars but there are huge numbers of enthusiastic young folk who have got their feet in the door with newer stuff and are ready to jump in with something more challenging. Cost is generally the biggest reason I've been given. In the last couple of years prices on popular auction/ classified sites on the web have often been pretty high. Whether or not cars end up selling for these prices is irrelevant. The one thing I will say about my generation is that many people don't know how to haggle. There are so few opportunities to do it now, so to many the price quoted is the price paid. If the prices look high on the web, the perception is that the cars are inaccessible even if they could be got a lot cheaper. 
Hopefully that makes sense!
(08-02-2018, 08:57 PM)Dave Prior Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 08:41 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Google christopher Blakey. Celebrate the seven,

Tony.

I spoke to him a couple of years ago at Beaulieu about it and thought it sounded fascinating. The sort of thing I would love to do, but alas helping other people restore their Sevens keeps me far too busy (no complaints on that front though!). I think it would be a great thing to capture the imagination, but Tony is right. I haven't seen much promotion outside of his own. 
When it comes to people my age the interest often comes (in my experience) from people who already tinker with newer classics. I suspect Sevens are perhaps too daunting for many people totally fresh to old cars but there are huge numbers of enthusiastic young folk who have got their feet in the door with newer stuff and are ready to jump in with something more challenging. Cost is generally the biggest reason I've been given. In the last couple of years prices on popular auction/ classified sites on the web have often been pretty high. Whether or not cars end up selling for these prices is irrelevant. The one thing I will say about my generation is that many people don't know how to haggle. There are so few opportunities to do it now, so to many the price quoted is the price paid. If the prices look high on the web, the perception is that the cars are inaccessible even if they could be got a lot cheaper. 
Hopefully that makes sense!

I have an idea to kick about, so I'll start a new related post, called  "900ft2 workshop requires potential younger Seven owners to form a club".