The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a fool of myself!
What ho all.

I might be a buffoon in my thinking and I've obviously not been too observant of late (been tied up in my day job), but I've been led to believe that the radiator surround that I'll be fitting to my Ulster Special should sit inside the shaped cow horns?

Whilst the curvature seems right for this, surely this isn't correct or is it?

I can't see that the radiator surround/shell that I have, a newly made one can allow the cow horns to sit inside, since the shell has stiffeners at the points where it would naturally sit. Also it will foul on the bolts that hold the cow horns down...though I could use countersunk bolts, but this was clearly not the appropriate remedy. 

Can some of you put me out of my agony please, and set me straight.

I know I've been chastised slightly for this (no more comments on this please) but I'm using a Ruby chassis and I've bought what I assume to be the correct shaped cow horns.

I could post pictures later.

Many thanks.

Arthur

(07-02-2018, 10:30 AM)merlinart Wrote: What ho all.

I might be a buffoon in my thinking and I've obviously not been too observant of late (been tied up in my day job), but I've been led to believe that the radiator surround that I'll be fitting to my Ulster Special should sit inside the shaped cow horns?

Whilst the curvature seems right for this, surely this isn't correct or is it?

I can't see that the radiator surround/shell that I have, a newly made one can allow the cow horns to sit inside, since the shell has stiffeners at the points where it would naturally sit. Also it will foul on the bolts that hold the cow horns down...though I could use countersunk bolts, but this was clearly not the appropriate remedy. 

Can some of you put me out of my agony please, and set me straight.

I know I've been chastised slightly for this (no more comments on this please) but I'm using a Ruby chassis and I've bought what I assume to be the correct shaped cow horns.

I could post pictures later.

Many thanks.

Arthur

Of course, it is possible...(I've not yet trial fitted the side panels forward of the main body) that the radiator surround/shell simply bolts to the body sides projecting forward of the cow horns?

No doubt, I shall be corrected...I hope so!!

Arthur
Can’t send you pictures because I’m at work, but the radiator shell sits in front of the cow horns. The lower side valences fit to the outside of the cow horns and extend about 2inches? forward. The rad shell fits inside there.
See below. The larger bolts to the wing support are through the cow horns. The radiator surround is secured to the lower side valences by the smaller bolts further forward.

Steve
(07-02-2018, 11:58 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: See below. The larger bolts to the wing support are through the cow horns. The radiator surround is secured to the lower side valences by the smaller bolts further forward.

Steve

Excellent, many thanks indeed. I did think that this was the right way, but I had been slightly mislead by someone whose name I shall not mention, though in fairness, the wife says I'm deaf, and I did go for a hearing assesment last Thursday, but then saw Dr Feelgood the following night and stood in front of the stage, in fact I spilt my beer on it!

Arthur
If you are using a Ruby chassis the forging at the front of the chassis is not compatible with earlier "cow horns" . The "cow horns will be in the wrong place for an early front set up. You can change the forging for an early one (rivet holes in same position) .
(07-02-2018, 07:31 PM)Ken Morton Wrote: If you are using a Ruby chassis the forging at the front of the chassis is not compatible with earlier "cow horns" . The "cow horns will be in the wrong place for an early front set up. You can change the forging for an early one (rivet holes in same position) .

Or you can custom make your own cow horns to fit your ruby chassis, simply some 5/16" flat bar bent to the correct radius and cut to shape.
Black Art Enthusiast
Love the 'simply'!

Much simpler to get special cow-horns designed to fit a Ruby chassis, such as BR947u here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#chassis
They should be back in stock this weekend.
Well they are not exactly hard to make are they David!
The bend at first glance may seem a little awkward but there is an easy way to form it, that said most special builders probably can't be fagged these days and I am sure that yours are of excellent quality.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-02-2018, 09:22 PM)Ian Williams Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 07:31 PM)Ken Morton Wrote: If you are using a Ruby chassis the forging at the front of the chassis is not compatible with earlier "cow horns" . The "cow horns will be in the wrong place for an early front set up. You can change the forging for an early one (rivet holes in same position) .

Or you can custom make your own cow horns to fit your ruby chassis, simply some 5/16" flat bar bent to the correct radius and cut to shape.

Entirely right of course....but you need to know the radius/shape. Next door workshop to me is my blacksmith chum, now he can shape/forge/fabricate/fire weld anything under the sun and he's entirely self taught.

Arthur
You have the cowl so you can work out the radius from there Arthur, the part that bolts to the chassis is flat, then the curve starts where it meets the cowl. If you bend a bit of flat bar that is an inch wider than the finished horn, then cut the horn shape from the blank on a bias you will create the twist that you need at the same time.
Black Art Enthusiast