The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SM5 Switch Panel. Anyone repair them ?
Hi everyone.

I have a Lucas SM5 switch panel with a broken wound resistor wire to the ignition warning light.
I'm anxious to keep the original bulb to work from the 6 volt system.

Is there anyone who could repair this by rewinding the resistor ? 

Otherwise could someone with knowledge suggest a way that I might be able to repair it by using a diode or something similar ? I have to add that I am not particularly good with electrical problems or a soldering iron so if someone could carry out the repair that would be the best option. Maybe you could let me know together with an estimated cost please.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

Pete   Wink
does not Tony Betts make new brass sections for the switch panels very reasonably? see the 7 County austin website...
Thank you jonE,

I do the brass strip. £4.00 each. Saves hours of work trying to cut your own out.

But not the resistance wire, as far as I understand the wire is there to dull the bulb down.

So you can still Use the 6 volt bulb, without the wire rapped round it. It will just be alot brighter.

Tony
(05-02-2018, 06:27 PM)PeteUU Wrote: Hi everyone.

I have a Lucas SM5 switch panel with a broken wound resistor wire to the ignition warning light.
I'm anxious to keep the original bulb to work from the 6 volt system.

Is there anyone who could repair this by rewinding the resistor ? 

Otherwise could someone with knowledge suggest a way that I might be able to repair it by using a diode or something similar ? I have to add that I am not particularly good with electrical problems or a soldering iron so if someone could carry out the repair that would be the best option. Maybe you could let me know together with an estimated cost please.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

Pete   Wink

My Lucas SM 5 panels do not have any wound resistor wire and there is no mention of it in the various articles including the comprehensive Cornwall Charging Refresher or the booklet Austin Seven Electrical Guide by Harry Hales.

Where is it located ?

The Lucas 'Spare Parts for Austin 7HP 1927-28-29-30 interestingly lists the SM3/ER Switchbox (Magneto Ignition) and the SM3/BN7 (Coil Ignition) - the designation SM5 must have arrived after this if anyone has the later Lucas listing.

The Warning Bulb SM3/BN7 is listed as SM/MES/8/9V

MES- Miniature Edison Screw.

No mention of any wound resistor here either.

I use a standards MES  6 volt 3 watt globe.

Cheers, Tony.
I always thought that the resistance wire was there to allow the use of a 3.3 or 3.5V bulb. Bypassing the resistance wire and use of a 6V bulb is probably the easiest solution. 

Peter
Pop down to Maplins and get a 27 ohm resistor to replace the wire wound one.
Here is a link to a recent, related thread:
http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...hp?tid=692

More information here:
http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...h%20Panel/
(06-02-2018, 05:57 AM)Psuggmog Volbenz Wrote: Here is a link to a recent, related thread:
http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...hp?tid=692

More information here:
http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...h%20Panel/

Both advise the ignition light is 6 volt 3 watt MES screw threaded pilot bulb with no mention of any resistance wire.

Cheers., Tony.
On my SM5, there is a coil of fine guage wire which is externally wrapped around the bulb socket. In my case this wire was broken. I was advised to either add a resistor or a second bulb in series with the original bulb to substitute for the failed wiring. At one time, I had a link to a post describing this option, but can no longer find it to post here.
(12-02-2018, 11:43 AM)Psuggmog Volbenz Wrote: On my SM5, there is a coil of fine guage wire which is externally wrapped around the bulb socket. In my case this wire was broken. I was advised to either add a resistor or a second bulb in series with the original bulb to substitute for the failed wiring. At one time, I had a link to a post describing this option, but can no longer find it to post here.

I am sure all my 1929 Lucas SM5 Switch Panel indicator lamps are just screwed into the brass MES socket cast into the Bakelite back of the panel with no provision for a coil of wire

But I have just found a picture of a Lucas SM5 panel with what looks like a coil of wire around the bulb socket !

I assume this is a later SM5 as the ammeter is marked +- 0-20 whereas mine are +- 0-16.  

Live and learn from the Forum !

Tony.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)