The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle return spring
(03-02-2018, 07:41 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Erich,

The one in the link is suitable for your car.

On my road cars I have only ever used the standard 1928/9 single spring on the shaft as shown for both 
SU and up-draught .
Not had a problem with throttles closing or hand controls shifting.

Cheers, Tony.

I think the 'bent' one on the left is BF 26 introduced with the starter motor, the 'straight' one looks like BF 38 introduced on the export updraught in 1932, then a similar piece BF 44 with the side draught around 1933 which was replaced by another similar piece BF 82 around 1935.

My Chummy has what looks to be a later replacement for BF 26 in heavier wire and not well formed which makes the hand control a bit difficult to operate. 

Cheers, Tony.
(04-02-2018, 12:51 AM)Tony Press Wrote: I think the 'bent' one on the left is BF 26 introduced with the starter motor, the 'straight' one looks like BF 38 introduced on the export updraught in 1932, then a similar piece BF 44 with the side draught around 1933 which was replaced by another similar piece BF 82 around 1935.

My Chummy has what looks to be a later replacement for BF 26 in heavier wire and not well formed which makes the hand control a bit difficult to operate. 

Cheers, Tony.

I tried to post a photo of my arrangement but couldn't seem to attach the photo. My spring looks like BF 26, though I ground the point contact with the firewall and wrapped the end with cloth tape.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does anyone have a source for the BF 26? My current one appear to be that as the long leg has a kink in it. A couple of the cherished suppliers I've tried have the BF 82 only and not the BF 26. Are there other alternatives such as making the kink myself? However, the short leg is different as well. My car is 1930, with a 30 MOV Solex updraught.

Thank you for any help.

Erich in Seattle

Play has come to a halt due to a waterworks infection, with antibiotics having their usual debilitating effect on me.

Geoff - Video of sliced up blocks on hold.
Thank you Geoff. This clearly confirms that I need the earlier spring with the kink.

Erich
Are you unable to modify the one you have to suit?
The throttle lever in Geoff's phioto is from a later car. This is the one on my RP which has a removable lever, held by a pinch bolt:

[Image: 20180212_151914.jpg]
Am I missing something? I've three A7s, two with throttle shafts that I've made myself (only a length of bar with a bend at one end) and one with an original shaft. Two have springs without kinks, one has a spring with a kink. To me, they seem completely interchangeable and none of them are such that they make things too stiff. As I said in an earlier post, something other than the spring is causing this.

Steve