The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OIL PUMP VANES - WHICH WAY UP ?
I came across reference to fitting the oil pump vanes in the oil pump with the chamfer at the top. 

Which is the top ?

A or B in the attached picture ?

Clarification please
Thanks,
Stephen

B is the top.
So then as I understand you Ruairdh, the vanes would be at the bottom of the oil pump body's machined hole, with the unchamferd edges visible  when putting the cover on?

Stephen
[url=http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=emailuser&uid=4][/url]
That is correct - your diagram is confusing as it shows the pump about face to normal.
Thank you
I'll fix that Big Grin

Better?
Perfect!
As discussed on the old forum, when I complained about my Chummy oil pressure coming back onto the gauge from cold quicker than I expected, Ruairidh suggested it might be the result of having the pump vanes fitted the wrong way up.  This proved to be the case.  It wasn't clear how long they had been wrong - the car had been in the USA for fifty years carrying out very light duties, so it could have been a while.  However, this showed that the pump performance was significantly affected.  Although the chamfer is small, the vanes must rely on the square bottom edge of the vane pressing on the pump base plate to form a good seal.  When incorrectly fitted, the presence of the chamfer must allow some oil to squeeze under the vanes and so reduce the efficiency?

Colin