The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rp fuel tank
I'm starting to re-assemble my RP after a major rebuild.

The petrol tank was original suspended from u-clips (similar to leaf spring clips) which  are much smaller than the holes in the brackets being barely thicker than wheel spokes. I have doubts that these are original and given the weight  of a full tank of fuel, I'm concerned that these are not up to the job and will give way at an inconvenient moment.

The brackets and clips are not illustrated in the parts book, presumably because they are considered part of the body?

Reminiscences happy or otherwise from anybody who has successfully installed  a tank will be welcome

Thanks
If they are about an 1/8th diameter they are right, I know what you mean about them, I replace them with bolts.
(01-02-2018, 08:18 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: I'm starting to re-assemble my RP after a major rebuild.

The petrol tank was original suspended from u-clips (similar to leaf spring clips) which  are much smaller than the holes in the brackets being barely thicker than wheel spokes. I have doubts that these are original and given the weight  of a full tank of fuel, I'm concerned that these are not up to the job and will give way at an inconvenient moment.

The brackets and clips are not illustrated in the parts book, presumably because they are considered part of the body?

Reminiscences happy or otherwise from anybody who has successfully installed  a tank will be welcome

Thanks

Sandy Croal sent a drawing on the old forum, I believe I have the drawing if I can find it tomorrow I will post it. It consisted of two “Z” shaped brackets attached to the floor which the tank was then bolted to. No U bolts involved.

Roger
U bolts originally, and certainly look frail with 80 years of rust. Bolts  can be awkward to undo if rusted. Probably the greater puzzle is placement of the rubber spacers and how tight. Were locked nuts used? Or did nuts fasten solid to spacer tubes? Was there rubber under the u bolt and and/or under the nuts?  Mine is a guess.
I replaced my cracked supports with 2 pieces of 25 mm square section on top of each other. Then 2 bolts straight through the floor, with a supporting and strengthening pad added, so bolted through the floor, through 50mm of spacer and then through the flanges on the tank edge. They have been secure for nearly 10 years now and show no sign of problems.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(01-02-2018, 08:18 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: I'm starting to re-assemble my RP after a major rebuild.

Thanks

The tank does indeed hang very successfully on those two thin u bolts. Had mine out several times, never any trouble.
I could suggest to you that the tank has a good clean out whilst it is out of the car. My tank man took the end off mine and cleaned it very carefully and put the end back on.
These are the two drawings sent to me by Sandy Croal when I was replacing my new tank on my RP after a new floor had been fitted so removing the original mounting location.

.jpeg   6A810F17-EF93-4E85-991C-C91C4E1B0DA2.jpeg (Size: 32.12 KB / Downloads: 201)

Roger
The correct form of the  original bracket is probably unfathomable on many cars so the diag useful. The long hoop which carries the number plate slots into the space.

Re the U bolts which pass thru the 30mm flange, no one has taken up on it and it is about 5 years since I replaced the fittings on my car, which had been dismantled many times before and may not have been original, but I recall that the tank mounting included at least one rubber cushioning spacer.If anyone can confirm, and the original sequence of u bolt, retainer plate etc could be of interest to some.
That reminds me, I also added a rubber spacer between floor and the box section made from a piece left over from trimming the new floor mats.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(03-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Roger Wrote: These are the two drawings sent to me by Sandy Croal when I was replacing my new tank on my RP after a new floor had been fitted so removing the original mounting location.

Roger

We recently made a pair of these brackets and used (I'm afraid) bolts and Nyloc nuts to hang the tank from them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)