The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scuttle fuel tanks and minimising fire risk
Hi Jon,

I've certainly heard of a few cars succumbing to fires over the years. My 'gut feeling' is you want to worry more about electrics than fuel tanks - petrol is not quite as flammable as people imagine, though that's little consolation once a fire has actually started. But then it won't matter a hoot where it's located in the car. I generally try not to fill the tank so high that it spills out while driving, otherwise rarely give it another thought.

I did once allow a battery lead to finally wear through its insulation on a sharp edge - the resulting shower of sparks just under the dripping fuel tap was quite impressive (but still didn't cause a fire). On the other hand I once found a whole load of melted insulation, where too small wire sizes had been used for lights.  

I would urge owners of Ulster-rep type cars to pay an occasional thought to the underside of their fuel tanks - grit and water can collect between tank and scuttle and cause rust spots which may penetrate the tank. I caught mine while there was still some metal left, now I seat it on broad EPDM rubber strips with gaps to allow drainage.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but it sounds to me like the kind of scaremongering that magazines tend to resort to from time to time to fill their pages.

Messages In This Thread
RE: scuttle fuel tanks and minimising fire risk - by Chris KC - 31-01-2018, 08:07 PM