The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Supercharged Single Seater
HI Greig,

The Car is looking great can not wait to hear how it goes,
                  One of the benefits of being a Colonist is you are not constrained by it is always been done this way,
                  keep up the great work.

Cheers Colin

PS, how is the babbiting going for the green Car
Thanks for the bodywork pics. Most impressed and it shows what can be done. Many find sheet metal a bit daunting but you've shown a great deal of skill.
Crack on!
The single seater looks really great; it's obvious that lots of real work has gone into it.

Having the track rod out in front of the axle would work a lot better if the steering arms are bent outwards. From the photo it looks like you have what is effectively anti-Ackerman there at the moment. I had a car come to me with exactly this setup and it suffered an enormous amount of scrub and understeer when cornering. It was cured by heating and bending the steering arms and making a longer track rod.
Nice to see a project like this coming along. Are there any particular measurements used to offeset the engine or back axle? Or are there drawings of any of the factory single seaters available? Look forward to seeing this progress.
John
Wow ! It's great to see that such skills still exist, what a project and record to feast our eyes on. Thanks a bunch!
Hi Chaps

Thanks for the kind words, to answer a few questions:

Colin - yes no constraints or VSCC rules & the entire thing is the creation of our imagination, we've tried to be true to what the 750 Bulletins and the competition handbook guys did in the '50's and granted the MIG welder makes it easy to fabricate the tube frame, but an arc welder would have done the job and any chap with a half decent set of tools and a willingness to try his hand at aluminium could have fabricated the same in period. The LM Williams Coupe and Slippery Anne are 2 prime examples - we searched the internet for pictures and both Dad & I really like the Kaye Petre replica, so ours was modelled on that - see the pictures below, plus two of the Works racer with the long tail, this was the ones we both liked the most. I originally liked the idea of a flap down door in the side like some of the Works cars, but for me the tail on that one was too short, we like the proportions of the Petre car and the blue Works car below, so some scaling was done off the few pictures we could find based on the known size of a 19" wheel and I started bending and welding tubing.

Babbited bearings on the Green car - Steven is busy with the designs for a jig to facilitate the pouring of the babbit.

Stuart - Anti-Ackerman, having spent quite a few years in the motor industry, I fully understand what you are saying, yes I will heat & bend the steering arms and lengthen the tie rod - many thanks for this detailed observation

John - Measurements for offset: I basically shifted the diff to the side and worked out where the ideal placement for the torque tube would be & then measured the difference in measurement to where the flanges were now versus where they were when the diff was centred. it was basically bang on 200mm. The works cars had an 80* torque tube fitment, so their offset diff was outside the body against the rear hub, but modified standard diffs at 90*'s need a bit of tube between the diff & the rear hub.

Motor offset - this was achieved by balancing an empty crankcase & gearbox casing on some home made feet and working out what would give me the maximum pedal space for my feet without impacting on the angles the propshaft universals would have to work at. In the attached picture you can see the mocking up of the offset in the pictures, it seems a lifetime ago that I was shuffling the motor around to determine the ideal placement for our purposes, but in reality its 13 months, 8 of which I didn't touch the car, so 5 months of weekends and holidays from conception to now --> 80% complete and 80% still to go..... I ran a tube through the crankcase here to see where the driveshaft would end up. Once I had these measurements sorted, I then worked out the heights for the new engine mounts based on what would be needed to clear the lip at the base of the crank case over the chassis rails. From there is was simple to make and weld in the new mounting points. Once the mounts were in, I filed a shallow curve into the lip at the base of the chassis top hat section to increase clearance for the front right corner of the oil pan and ditto the left rear corner of the pan & crank case - this corner has the lump for the oil pump. Remember that I had already reinforced the underside of the chassis rails with 2 lengths of 38x38mm square tubing securely welded into place.The other mod I had to make was a shallow curve in the front cross member to clear the underside of the gearbox - I made a few horizontal cuts with an angle grinder to form a shallow C, then tapped the top lip down and just welded the everything together again.

This car actually represents a rather radical departure from the norm as we usually restore back to original, so this has been a chance to really experiment with all possibilities and virtually no constraints. We really are like kids who got a giant Meccano set for Christmas. The offset idea was purely a decision to get a bit lower to be more aerodynamic, right now we are about 100mm lower than the Green car at the chassis and over 200mm lower at the top of the bonnet. The hump at the tail is at my helmet height, so hopefully we're as aero as we can go and still look good.

The best part is that the majority of the bits were gathered by Dad before I was born and have been in various boxes in various garages for over 50 years now, so we don't feel bad modifying things as at least another Seven will arise out of the ashes, besides it's really fun Big Grin

Cheers
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Mocking up the engine offset.JPG (Size: 66.24 KB / Downloads: 584)
.jpg   Kaye Petre 3 quarter view lhs.jpg (Size: 112.7 KB / Downloads: 585)
.jpg   Kaye Petre 3 quarter view.jpg (Size: 78.07 KB / Downloads: 582)
.jpg   Kaye Petre nose and scuttle view.jpg (Size: 114.92 KB / Downloads: 583)
.jpg   Kaye Petre nose.jpg (Size: 83.08 KB / Downloads: 585)
.jpg   Mocking up the offset & blower.JPG (Size: 118.91 KB / Downloads: 584)
Any progress to report?
Hello David

Thanks for reminding me, yes, I got the car finished only for the clutch to slip when we tried towing to build up oil pressure prior to starting it, so gearbox out from inside and clutch out. We removed every second double spring and also re-adjusted the 3 arms, but the problem was actually the inside of the driven plate catching the edges of the crankshaft nut.... I managed to grind the nut down a bit in situ, using all sorts of stuff to catch the sparks and the swarf. Job done and that gave us clutch again.

Attempting to start brought forth one bark and the rear wheels locked solid. Alas time had run out so we pushed it to one side and in one day we rebuilt the motor of the green one for our friend Gino to use at Simola, that also presented some fun and games, but we managed to get it running the night before the Hillclimb and after 6 laps around the complex he lives in, we were ready to tackle the hill - during the rebuild of the green one we stuck in a Nippy cam, or at least what looked like a Nippy cam excepting that the centre bearing is a permanent fixture and the cam goes in and out complete with the centre bearing - we could see no possible way to remove it. However it all worked out well and that cam gave the green job a good bark, nothing under 2000 rpm and then it all arrives - vroom !! Those who followed the other thread on babbiting bearings may remember that my lovely wife over revved it last year, delays in sourcing babbit meant that we had to pull a rabbit out of a hat, so my supremely talented friend Steven machined out 4 old 1&5/16" rods to suit the old crank. He did a brilliant job as after 6 laps around the complex, then 4 runs up the hill the oily bits are still on the inside.

A good day was had at the Hillclimb, both cars were very popular despite the blue one just being a static exhibit. Unfortunately after 4 runs something let go in the rear axle of the green job and we had no drive, so it's either a sides haft or a key. We haven't stripped the rear axle as yet.

The engine came out the blown car last weekend and the problem came to light, I hadn't tightened the blower drive into the nose of the crank properly, turns out there was old locktite in there and it gave me a false impression of seating the blower drive screw-in nut home, when in fact it wasn't and upon starting, the front gear threw the crank backwards into the rear main ring and jammed the crank solid. The good news is that there is no permanent damage, only to my ego, the motor had a little swarf from the brush with the rear bearing flange so we stripped it to flush it clean.  This was a good thing as we found that the exhaust manifold flange will need to be skimmed flat and the manifold studs will need to be sealed. A leaking stud had filled the exhaust and the blower with water. Blower was stripped and new bearings fitted as a precaution and we are now ready to re-assemble the oily bits.

I still need to make up some sort of a windscreen for the car and then it'll be finished... if a race car can ever actually be finished.... Here they are at Simola and on the trailer at the guest house in Knysna.

Cheers
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   1.JPG (Size: 232.7 KB / Downloads: 434)
.jpg   2.JPG (Size: 173.52 KB / Downloads: 434)
.jpg   Tail.JPG (Size: 130.35 KB / Downloads: 435)
.jpg   Trailer.JPG (Size: 276.8 KB / Downloads: 432)
HI Greig,
Looking fantastic , seeing the two cars on the trailer highlights how low the new one is.
PS like the trailer mudguards

Cheers Colin
NZ
Dad and both Sevens at the track

Gino in the Green Job - first time he had ever driven a Seven was 10pm the previous night... a hot engine with a lightened flywheel & a Nippy cam

In Gino's garage, Dad + neighbour David - we've just managed to get the green job going - 6 laps of Gino's complex, much to the chagrin of another neighbour...  

Me under the Blue Job, with the sump off we could see the crank had shifted - Oh well, it went on display in the pits, there is always next year

Cheers
Greig

Hi Colin

The Blue Job is about 200mm lower than the green one at the bonnet and about 120mm lower at the chassis. I sit about a foot lower in the Blue Job compared to the Green Job. One job still remaining is an undertray & when I do this I'll lower the drivers seat base by another 3" which will bring my helmet to the top of the tail hump and my tail onto the undertray.

That's about as aerodynamic as I can get, then it's down to things like 19" wheels and new Blockleys. About all that's left after that is a new electronic distributor and then to embark on another weight saving drive - looking at the pictures of the brake drum and front hub of the Mike Forrest saloon gives me a good idea of the level of imagination / insanity that is possible...... I think I'll just leave it where it is for now, we have other projects to do, this one has been great fun & Dad has been an absolute champ

Cheers
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_9300.JPG (Size: 233.11 KB / Downloads: 416)
.jpg   IMG_9301.JPG (Size: 62.56 KB / Downloads: 412)
.jpg   IMG_9352.JPG (Size: 140.1 KB / Downloads: 416)
.jpg   IMG_9353.JPG (Size: 133.98 KB / Downloads: 415)
.jpg   IMG_9354.JPG (Size: 83.01 KB / Downloads: 412)