The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etched Races
(14-12-2018, 03:53 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I have a new old stock Hoffman rear main roller bearing, only thing is it has slight corrosion etching (dark discolouration) on the outer race. My 'received wisdom' is that etching can bring about premature failure, but unsure just how big a threat that is in an A7. I read somewhere that if you can polish it off it's OK; needless to say I can't.

Part of me thinks it's a darn good bearing with a minor defect; and part thinks why use a defective bearing when new substitutes are to be had?

So, anyone out there have the necessary expertise / experience to say whether it belongs in my engine or in the waste bin?
As has been said, photo needed.If you decide to use fit with the bad section at 9 o'clock position when viewing from the flywheel side, that's where it's taking least amount of load.
(14-12-2018, 09:23 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(14-12-2018, 03:53 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I have a new old stock Hoffman rear main roller bearing, only thing is it has slight corrosion etching (dark discolouration) on the outer race. My 'received wisdom' is that etching can bring about premature failure, but unsure just how big a threat that is in an A7. I read somewhere that if you can polish it off it's OK; needless to say I can't.

Part of me thinks it's a darn good bearing with a minor defect; and part thinks why use a defective bearing when new substitutes are to be had?

So, anyone out there have the necessary expertise / experience to say whether it belongs in my engine or in the waste bin?
As has been said, photo needed.If you decide to use fit with the bad section at 9 o'clock position when viewing from the flywheel side, that's where it's taking least amount of load.

Unless things have changed all bearing parts are 60 Rockwell C hardness , originally through hardened. 

If the ball or roller ring track is marked (even slightly) I wouldn't use it unless you like stripping engines . One or more of the balls or rollers could be similarly damaged . 

Tony.